Student Senate celebrates Halloween

Senate season slows with open vacancies
Senators dressed festively to celebrate Halloween. (Photo used with permission from Ivan San)

At 6 p.m. on Monday Oct. 30, the Student Senate was called to order.

The body was adorned with Halloween costumes, to celebrate the season. Cat in the Hat, Mario, an Oompa Loompa and every male character in the “Barbie” Movie were present. 

The mood was light, and the senators were festive. It was a light agenda, with no legislation, no open forum and no new issues discussed. The meeting was brief, and was a good pause in the middle of a quite eventful session, as Student Senate President Brett Farmer said.

He gave senators a light push, stating a goal for every senator to pass a bill this session. He said he meant for this to give a slight boost, with there being nothing on the agenda for the night. So far the senate has passed two bills and four resolutions, with four more pieces of legislation in the works. 

“We have had a really productive session so far,” Farmer said. “There is a lot of stuff in the works, I just want to remind people they can take things into their own liberty.” 

Farmer said this session has been more productive, despite it not being a full senate. Vice President Sam Consiglio said that applications are open for the current vacancies.

As of right now, there are nine vacant seats in the senate, giving a few students the opportunity to join the program. 

“We love having new people in the body, it’s a great way to get new perspectives. No two people see campus the same way, what’s a problem for someone might not be a problem for another,” Consiglio said.

The application is available on Blugold Connect+, with both Consiglio and Farmer encouraging students to apply. 

“Any student can find an interest, with such a wide array on campus, It’s hard to find something that students won’t find important,” Farmer said. 

There will be a transportation open forum held at 5 p.m. on Thursday in room 1924 of Centennial Hall.

Available to all students, it’s a chance to learn about the changes to bus routes 9 and 19. It is hosted in collaboration with the City of Eau Claire and will give students an opportunity to learn and to ask questions. 

The senate adjourned at 6:35 p.m and will reconvene at 6 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 6 in the Dakota Ballroom of Davies Student Center.

Leick can be reached at “l[email protected].”