Senate passes resolution in support of EDI

Following Board of Regents decision, senate supports EDI

Monday’s Student Senate meeting began with a presentation from Harry Hertel, who has given legal advice to students since 1981. The senate passed resolution 67-R-17 “In Recognition of Harry Hertel’s Distinguished Service to the Students at UW-Eau Claire.” 

The senate moved into a presentation supporting kindness on campus. Rewire and Real founder Kjersten Berard and director Stacy Franzwa spoke on a fundraising opportunity that the university will be participating in. More information will be introduced to student organization leaders at the end-of-year banquet hosted by the Student Organization Committee. 

Sustainability coordinator Annie Tangeman spoke in support of bill 67-B-9, “Funding for compost bins in Oak Ridge Hall and Bridgeman Hall” during an open forum. As the current waste production manager of suites, Tangeman spoke about her experience and gave more clarity on the project. 

The bill was introduced last meeting and would place two new compost bins on Upper Campus. Tangeman said that the compost bins will be placed in the lobbies of both buildings.

Following open forum, the bill was reintroduced on the floor, and with no additional questions, was approved 27-0-2.

Senator RJ Murray introduced 67-R-17, “Demanding Urgent and Unwavering Support of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) and the Protection of the Rights of Faculty, Staff and Students at UW-Eau Claire.” This piece of legislation comes directly in response to a decision made in December by the UW-Board of Regents. 

Murray explained how essential EDI is on campus. Equity in Students Matters Senate Director Emma Velazquez described it as a foundation on campus.

“We’re here to get an education that prepares us to go out and work in a diverse world, no matter if you stay within the country or if you travel around the world,” Velazquez said. “You need to have an understanding that you don’t live in a bubble. You may only be from Wisconsin, but there are so many other experiences and different kinds of people out in the world.”

Vice President Sam Consiglio said the resolution would impact all students. 

“Having the ESM Commission put this forward, I think it’s beneficial to our body, yes, but then also to the entire student body,” Consiglio said. “Having them know what we support and what’s still going on in today’s day and age and what’s going on, knowing that we can take a stance on this, I think it’s extremely important.” 

The Board of Regents advised universities not to respond to the future of EDI on individual campuses.

Senators said EDI is important to UW-Eau Claire, as the university has worked to create an “inclusive environment.”

“EDI is more than just this political ploy and these services impact everybody in the classroom, out of the classroom, in their personal lives. It’s not just career students, not just what comes to mind when people think of EDI,” President Brett Farmer said. 

During the time for comments, senators gave their support. 

67-R-17 receives support from the entire body. (Photo by Mady Leick)

“Every student comes here with different needs of support and EDI provides that,” Senator Dylan Baker said.

The resolution passed 25-0-2. 

There were three additional bills: 67-B-10 “Funding the Annual Pack it Up Pass it On Event,” 67-B-11 “Amending the Bylaws to Comply with Digital Accessibility Regulations in Public Institutions” and 67-B-12 “Approval Of The 2025 Student Technology Fee Allocation,” which will all be reintroduced and voted on next week. 

The next senate meeting will be 6 p.m. on April 22 in the Dakota Ballroom of Davies and it will be the penultimate meeting of the 67th session. 

Leick can be reached at [email protected].