Senate discusses parking lot safety on Upper Campus

Senate bill 67-R-13 would introduce plans for cameras in university parking lots
+Senators+discuss+67-R-13.
Photo by Maddie Kasper
Senators discuss 67-R-13.

The Senate discussed parking lot safety in an eventful meeting on March 4. 

Senator Avery De Ruyter introduced 67-R-13: In support of funding for security cameras in university-owned parking lots. The bill was written by De Ruyter and Academic Affairs Commission Director Colin Rafter, but Rafter was unable to attend due to illness. 

Currently, there are no cameras on Upper Campus parking lots. This has led to safety concerns among students. Catalytic Converters being stolen has been a massive problem on campus, alongside other issues, as President Brett Farmer described. 

“So many students have cars here that literally every single person I feel knows somebody who either got their car, hit, dented, scratched or has seen somebody else do it,” Farmer said.

De Ruyter described the goal of the bill as to increase safety on campus and to deter theft. De Ruyter and Rafter met with representatives from Housing, Campus Police and Information Technology Commission to discuss this resolution. 

With parking being an important issue on campus, this project has been in the works for a long time, as Vice President Consiglio described it. 

“Every single session that I’ve been a part of, it has been a project that someone has tried to start,“ Consiglio said. 

The project would prioritize cameras in the R-Lot first then move to the A and B lots.

“The focus is on upper campus because the cars are at 24/7, a lot of the parking lots on lower clear out right at night, which is arguably when they’re most susceptible to crime and stuff. So I think because those are like overnight parking, upper campus is more of a concern right there.” 

Information Technology Commission Director Drew Morehouse described how there is currently a surplus with the innovation fund. Morehouse said the project is exactly what they are looking for, and with the support of the senate, it would likely receive it.

They estimate that to fully protect the R lot, it will cost roughly $ 20,000

Senators spoke in support of the issue, with University Activities Commission Director Zach Jacobson discussing how his bike was stolen outside of Haymarket Center, and was found due to the cameras at their facility. 

“I think it’s a testament to our directors, I think we’ve taken on so many projects this year that in the past have been taboo. People [have] tried that before, but they just addressed it from such a new light,” Farmer said.

The resolution passed 31-0-2. 

There was an update to the bylaws. Due to the length of the fourth chapter, there was a delay in the process, but the fourth chapter, alongside chapters five and six, will be introduced at the March 26 meeting. 

Bradford Heap announced his resignation from his position as Student Organization Commission Director 

The senate then moved to personnel, with multiple committee spots available. Senator Kaitlynn Hevrin was appointed to the dining committee. Reagan Jimenez was appointed to the Student Organization Conduct Committee and the Club Sports Advisory Counsel. 

The senate adjourned at 6:45 and will meet at 6:00 p.m. on Monday, March 11 in the Dakota Ballroom in Davies Student Center. 

Leick can be reached at [email protected].