Finding someone new

Students find struggles in seeking subletters

Story by Meghan Hosely, Copy Editor

When then-sophomore Nicole Densmore found out she was studying abroad in spring 2015, she knew she had to find a subletter to take her place.

She said she started by asking some people she knew who might have been looking to sublet, but no one really expressed interest.

“I had one friend who said he might be interested,” Densmore said. “But he’s super on the fence about it, and he said I should try to find somebody else.”

After asking people she personally knew, Densmore decided to print off flyers to place in the bathrooms in McIntyre Library and Haas Fine Arts Center. She said she listed the monthly rental rate, utilities and how big the room was, among other selling points of her home.

However, for reasons unknown to Densmore, the flyers were taken down. She said she assumes janitors took the flyers down and said in previous years, she has noticed other flyers staying up much longer than hers.

Flyers weren’t the only way Densmore advertised. Like many other students at UW- Eau Claire, she said she went to Facebook and posted on two pages:

the Free and For Sale Facebook page and the UW-Eau Claire Class of 2016 page. After posting online, Densmore hasn’t had much luck there either.

Chelsy Garlick, property manager for EDJ Rentals, 534 Water St., said there are about six residents looking for subletters for the upcoming semester, but the number changes from semester to semester.

“It varies because some people might graduate earlier,” Garlick said. “But some might not get along with their roommates.”

Garlick said the process for adding a subletter may vary from different housing offices, but theirs can be straightforward.

A person looking to sublet must notify EDJ Rentals and explain why they are looking to move. It’s their responsibility to find a subletter, and once they do, the current resident must fill out an application and wait for approval.

Meanwhile, the roommates must also notify EDJ Rentals, ensuring they know about the subletter moving in and letting the housing office know they are okay with this happening.

Once everything is approved, the new subletter will sign the lease.

Garlick also said in the event of a subletter not paying his or her rent, it’s up to the original leaser to compensate for the mishap.

Densmore said if she would have known it would have been challenging trying to find a subletter for the upcoming semester, she said for simplicity’s sake, it might have been easier to not sign a lease in the first place.

After calculating the costs, Densmore said it’s most likely going to cost her about $1,000 for next semester in rent alone. She said her roommates wouldn’t make her pay for utilities, so it would cut down the costs while she’s abroad.

“I had considered (staying on campus),” Densmore said. “But I had so many things pulling me off campus that I just did it anyways. I just figured, ‘Oh, I can just find a subletter.’”