New program encourages transfers from CVTC

The largest number of transfer students coming to UW-Eau Claire come from Chippewa Valley Technical College.The admissions department at Eau Claire noticed just that and wanted to better the university transfer program, aligning with the transfer program at CVTC. This last year a grant known as the CVTC transition program, was launched to fill in the gaps these transfer students were feeling.“The goal (of the grant) is to holistically prepare these students to transfer over,” said associate director of admissions Heather Pearson associate director of admissions, helped write this grant and launched it this semester.Transfer students often times need help picking classes and knowing the correct ones to take. Transfer students often times said that they felt under prepared for their classes, and these gaps are what the grant tries to fill.

Those students who in the past transferred from CVTC to Eau Claire, who are still attending class at Eau Claire are being asked to be mentors. The mentors meet with future, or first semester transfer students from CVTC to help ease transition.

“That’s just one way the grant is helping to fill the gaps,” Pearson said.

CVTC transfer student Jenna Goymerac transferred to Eau Claire a year ago after just one semester at CVTC. Goymerac said she had an easy time transitioning without this grant.

“I think I had an easy time with the transfer because I already knew people who went to the university,” Goymerac said. I was a good student in High School so academically I knew I would do well in college.”

The biggest challenge Goymerac had was figuring out how to register for classes and different tasks on MyCampS. This is wear friends came in to help her navigate her way through that process.

Adviser to non-traditional students and transfer students Bonnie Isaacson coordinate events and programs going on. Isaacson described being a transfer student at a new school, like moving to a new city where you don’t know anyone. You want to make new friends, figure out how to get around town, and know where all the best places to eat and hang out at are. Isaacson thinks that this grant will help transfer students find all these things right here on campus.

“This grant is helping transfer students get familiar with the resources and get acquainted with the campus and UWEC community,” Isaacson said.

The hope is that after the year that the program keeps going forward with all the things we have put in place.

Debbie Goff, the main author of the grant came up with the idea for it because she waned to do more for the CVTC transfer students and transfer students in general to help prepare them for student and academic life here on campus.

“The number of students we got this semester had very positive comments about the grant,” Isaacson said, “and those mentors said, ‘Boy I sure wish we had a program like this’ and I think that that says something about this program.”