Community assists students after fire

Danielle Ryan

Fifteen UW-Eau Claire students were displaced from their homes during a Jan. 13 fire that destroyed their housing complex.

The fourplex, located at 133 Niagara St., was completely totaled on the eastern side of the building, according to Rick Merryfield, Deputy Chief of EMS and Fire Prevention. Merryfield said the apartments that were not demolished by the flames sustained significant smoke and water damage as well.

“It was a pretty intense fire when crews arrived there,” Merryfield said. “When they arrived, there was heavy smoke and flames coming out of the basement windows that had already been broken out.”

The fire required five Eau Claire Fire Department engines, one Altoona engine and a total of 28 firefighters to put out the blaze, Merryfield said.

“We were fighting the fire for probably about a good hour before it was really under control,” Merryfield said. “But for the fire to get going like that, it seemed like it probably had been burning for a little while prior to anyone recognizing it.”

The situation could have been much worse, but everyone that had been in the building evacuated safely prior to rescue crews arriving, Merryfeild said. The fire was confined to the building of origin, keeping other buildings from becoming damaged as well, he said.

Junior Eric Rickert, who was one of the residents of the complex, said it was a stunning realization when he first heard what had happened.

“I had been at work and was told about it from one of my co-workers,” Rickert said. “I was pretty much in shock; it’s really hard to believe that your house is on fire.”

Rickert was a resident on the west side of the building, the side that wasn’t engulfed by flames, but he said most of his and his roommates’ possessions were completely ruined.

“Obviously you could see the stuff – they were tangible things – but a lot of it was damaged by smoke and what not,” Rickert said. “We didn’t necessarily lose anything to the fire, but most of it was too damaged from the smoke and water – like our couches, beds and clothes, that kind of stuff.”

Beth Hellwig, Dean of Students, said she was deeply troubled when she heard the news of what happened.

“It was very sad . It was pretty stunning that 15 of our students would be devastated so much,” Hellwig said.

Hellwig said the university sprang into action as soon as it could to help the students in any way. She said Interim Associate Dean of Students Mark Goulet went to the scene the day of the event, just to make sure the students knew they had support.

The very next morning a meeting was held for all of the students who were involved to find out what their immediate needs were. Then a secondary meeting was held soon after to figure out the rest of what the students needed, according to Hellwig.

Hellwig said she then sent out an e-mail to the student body requesting all types of donations. Once groups around campus caught word of the event, many of them reached out to see what they could do, she said.

“The veteran club helped to organize all of the (donated) belongings, the development office gave each student some money to help them . the admissions office helped,” Hellwig said. “All over campus, people stepped up, so it was wonderful.”

Likewise, Hellwig said the Red Cross has provided things for the students, and landlords from the area have stepped forward with new places for the students to live.

On Tuesday the victims of the fire were given an opportunity to pick up some of the things that had been donated by fellow students. Rickert said he and his roommates are still waiting to get many of their things back from their insurance companies, and the donations really helped them get some of the necessities they need.

Rickert said he was surprised to find out how much the university, local organizations and other students have done to help.

“I really want to thank everybody who has been helping us out. It’s really been a growing experience,” Rickert said. “It’s good to see a lot of good people out there providing help for us; it’s really nice.”