‘That Takes Ovaries’ showcases bold, daring women

Some use the euphemism “that takes balls” to highlight a particularly bold action of another. But for some women, the phrase seems hardly appropriate.

The Women’s and Gender Equity Center of UW-Eau Claire hosted “That Takes Ovaries: Bold Females and Their Brazen Acts” on Tuesday. The event was based on the book by Rivka Solomon and the play by Solomon and Bobbi Ausubel.

Co-coordinators of WAGE – Krystal Naab and Tiffany Gerber – pulled the whole event together.

“‘That Takes Ovaries’ is a compilation of stories of women telling their courageous or brazen acts in their lives,” said Naab, a graduate student at Eau Claire. “It’s a really great event that (opens people’s) eyes to new experiences.”

The event featured readings by volunteer Eau Claire students. Audience members were free to tell their own courageous stories, and in turn received chocolate eggs wrapped in foil, or “golden ovaries.”

Ausubel came to campus to introduce the event. She also held an informal discussion on human sex trafficking and second wave feminism to a small group of students earlier in the day.

She has been doing international work on the topic of human sex trafficking for about four years in the countries of Bangladesh, India and Guyana.

“‘That Takes Ovaries’ is something like the Vagina Monologues but it isn’t only about sexuality,” Ausubel said. “It’s about all parts of women’s lives.”

The event was free, but donations were accepted for the new Eau Claire Children’s Center.

Senior Emily Kopp attended both presentations on Tuesday.

“It’s very motivating for me . to go and hear these people’s stories,” Kopp said. “It really helped me improve myself to get as many experiences as I can.”

Kopp said most of the program was light-hearted and entertaining, but the more serious issues some women face today – like rape and abuse – were not avoided.

“I think it allows the students to really come together and share stories and also hear stories about women who can be just as gutsy and brave as men,” Naab said.

Naab said the event also served as a kick-off to Women’s Herstory Month in March, which will feature the Vagina Monologues.

Kopp said the event was a good way to begin the month.

“It was a great introduction to it, getting topics of feminism in our own lives and our abilities to overcome.”