Telethon to benefit Boys and Girls Club

Sophomore education major Elizabeth Wolf admits to being biased, but she is excited at the possibility of helping out an organization dedicated to the well being of school-age children.

Society of Participating Honor Students, or SOPHS, will hold its annual telethon from 8 p.m. to midnight Thursday in the Towers TV Lounge. This year the proceeds will benefit the Boys and Girls Club of the Greater Chippewa Valley, 201 E. Lake St.

The Boys and Girls Club was selected after SOPHS listened to speakers from several different area nominees.

“I can’t speak for the other members, but it was just an organization that was getting a new start within the area and it really helps out the children, giving them a place to go,” said Wolf, the information and publicity chair for SOPHS. “That’s something that I thought could always use more money.”

SOPHS Telethon
Time: 8 p.m. to midnight
Date: Thursday
Place: Towers TV Lounge; also broadcast on TV10

Entertainment for this year’s event includes local comics, a gospel choir, an RA “Survivor” and different contests. The complete entertainment list has not been finalized.

Raffle tickets are on sale now for $1 through SOPHS members and at the University Bookstore, Hilltop Center and Hibbard Hall.

Since 1977, the telethon has benefited different local causes.

Lisa McIntrye, unit director for the Boys and Girls Club, said she was honored and surprised when SOPHS tapped her organization.

The Club began operation in Eau Claire in 2001, and moved to its current location in January 2004. The organization provides kids from grades 4 through 12 a place to go after school “to get positive reinforcement in an open, accepting environment,” according to its Web site.

“Just being able to offer kids a positive, safe place during those crucial hours after school is an awesome thing,” McIntrye said.

Wolf said SOPHS hopes to surpass previous telethons.

“In the past years, we haven’t had quite the level of participation that we’ve wanted, but we’re really hoping this year to step it up,” Wolf said. “We really do think it’s a worthwhile cause and it could raise a lot of money for the Boys and Girls Club.”

McIntrye said the money will go towards programming for the kids, but what kind of programming will depend on how much is raised.

The telethon is the biggest event for SOPHS members. After initiation in December, SOPHS members put together various different community service projects, but work on the telethon almost from the start, Wolf said.

SOPHS has 28 people in the group this year. Sophomore member Helen Bostock said the process is very competitive, but well worth it to those fortunate enough to be accepted.

“The organization is really about giving back to the community,” Bostock said. “I think that speaks well for not only the students who are in it, but for the society.”