Student group hosts annual lock-in for middle schoolers

Chris Kemp

Fifth- and sixth-graders from Altoona Middle School lined up to enter the gymnasium in McPhee Friday night for the fourth annual student lock-in hosted by UW-Eau Claire’s chapter of the Student Wisconsin Education Association.

The event, which began at 10 p.m. Friday and ended at 6:30 a.m. Saturday, is a way for students to learn there are many different options for fun, said junior Kristin Benedict, an elementary education major and SWEA member.

“The lock-in is to teach the students that they can have a whole lot of fun at night without going out and drinking and doing drugs,” Benedict said.

She said one of the goals of the event is to teach this to them at an earlier age.

About 45 SWEA members volunteered to help with the lock-in. The organization aids education majors in their professionalism and prepares them for their careers in education, Benedict said.

Members also tutor students from area schools and do a variety of community service events, she said.

The McPhee gymnasium was filled with noise and activity as about 90 middle schoolers played basketball and volleyball. Students said they were filled with anticipation and excitement for the upcoming night.

“We just want to have fun,” said Zach Valk, a fifth-grade student at Altoona Middle School.

His friend and fellow fifth-grader Austin Warren said, “And we want to play lots of basketball.”

The night started with an introduction game for the students and volunteers, said senior SWEA president Molly Baker. A dance featuring an area high school DJ followed.

Other activities included swimming, soccer, volleyball and basketball, as well as bowling and pool at the Bowling and Billiard Center in Hilltop, she said. Toppers Pizza and Panera Bread provided food for the students.

Senior Christie Clark, an elementary education major, coordinated the event.

“(The lock-in) is to give kids a positive thing to do on the weekend,” Clark said. “We don’t let the kids form their own groups. We form the groups for the kids to force them to associate with others they may not associate with on a daily basis.”

The event is not only a great way for the kids to have fun, but it’s also a learning opportunity for SWEA members and good experience in working with some older kids, she said.

Clark said it cost about $1,400 to put on the event. SWEA received a $750 grant from the National Education Association. A $3 student admission fee and donations and discounts from local businesses covered other costs.