Senate opens new session

Aaron Vehling

After he was handed his gavel, new Student Senate President Aaron Olson left his podium to address the new senators of the 49th session from the center of room. An animated Olson annunciated each word clearly and directly as he gave his charge to the new Senate.

“This is our time! This is our Senate!” he said.

The Senate spent nearly three hours debating the merits of two bills Monday night. The first looked at attaching a cover letter to all pieces of legislation so readers could more easily interpret it.

Treasurer Nomi Nazeer said he was concerned that the addition of cover letters may increase senators’ apathy.

“It’s the responsibility of senators to write, read and understand legislation,” he said.

Academic Affairs Director Avril Flaten repeatedly stood up for the addition, stating that adding a cover letter would make legislation more user-friendly for those outside of Senate, such as university administrators.

As the time crept closer to 10 p.m., a motion was made to postpone further discussion of the bill to next week’s meeting.

Senate then discussed a bill that would amend bylaws regarding campaign procedures.

The proposed bill asked that presidential tickets be limited to a $1,500 spending cap for financing their campaigns and that tickets be limited to 60 signs on campus.

Olson and former presidential candidate Emily Ascher each said that their campaigns spent about $800 in the March Senate campaign.

Senator Brandon Buchanan said he agreed with the idea of a cap on campaign spending.

“I’m concerned about the possibility of people getting priced out of (student elections),” he said.

Buchanan went on to say he disagreed with limitations on signage. He later authored an amendment to strike the signage limits from the bill, which passed.

Before the 49th session got down to debating bills and resolutions, they took two hours to reflect and remember the 48th session’s President and Vice-President, Chad Wade and Meredith Marx, as well as Kate Demerse, who most recently completed her term as Academic Affairs director and was also the 47th session’s vice president.

Senators passed resolutions commending the seniors, and took time to poke jokes at and share fond memories of their peers.

Outgoing Public Relations Director Lindsay Nelson sung Demerse’s praises.

“If you’re not in awe of this woman, you haven’t been listening,” she said.

Others prodded Wade about his love of the movie “Anchorman,” and playfully took jabs at Marx for her ever-upbeat attitude.