Proposed bill could add non-traditional student to Board of Regents

If a new bill passes, a second student seat for a non-traditional student may be added to the UW System Board of Regents.

The Colleges and Universities Committee of the State Assembly recently unanimously passed Assembly Bill 158, which, if passed by the State Assembly, Senate and the governor, would add a non-traditional student seat to the UW System Board of Regents.

The bill, introduced by legislators including Rep. Rob Kreibich, R-Eau Claire, and Rep. Terry Moulton, R-Chippewa Falls, asks for the creation of a seat for a student who is at least 24 years old.

Dan Bush, Shared Governance director for United Council, said the addition of a non-traditional student regent would be beneficial. Non-traditional students add a unique perspective, he said.

For example, Bush said, non-traditional students may have different education affordability issues than traditional students.

“They have a different set of experiences,” he said. “It will provide a voice for someone who is married, has a kid or is working.”

Additionally, Bush said, having a second student voice on the board will be a major benefit to students in a number of ways.

First, it would be beneficial because it will allow for more student involvement on the board, he said.

Second, it will allow students to sit on two of three committees on the board.

Finally, the positions, whose appointments will be staggered, will allow time for new student regents in each position to become familiar with them.

“An existing student regent has one year to build up experience,” he said. “(Under the proposed bill) when one is appointed, the other can serve as a mentor, so (the new regent) can get up-to-speed quicker.”

Sophomore Erika Dinkel-Smith recently applied to be appointed to the current student Regent position. Her interest in the position stemmed from her involvement with United Council as a delegation leader, she said.

Interviews for the appointment will begin April 15, she said.

Dinkel-Smith said it is the responsibility of the new student regent to jump right in to tackle issues.

“You have to find a niche. You can’t be shy,” she said. “You have to immediately get in there.”

Because tuition is set in June, a strong student voice is essential to the board, Bush said.

Dinkel-Smith said if she is appointed, looking at the issue of differential tuition would be a top priority.

Having another student voice on the board will also continue to ground the Regents when they make their decisions, Bush said.

“It’s important that students have a voice to say step back and (say an action) will have this impact on students,” he said. “It really brings the board back down to earth.”

Dinkel-Smith and Bush said they are confident the bill will pass.

It has been in the works for a while, Bush said.

“This is probably the fifth or sixth legislative session that we’ve worked on it,” he said.

When the bill came up in the last legislative session it passed in the Senate but died in the Assembly, Bush said.

However, the bill has not been slated for floor votes in the Assembly or in the Senate yet, he said.

If passed by the legislature, Bush said he believes the bill will quickly pass.

“The understanding that we have,” he said, “is that it may be on the governor’s desk in a month.”