Proposal could shorten calendar parking

Alternate side parking on Eau Claire streets may end earlier in the spring if a proposed ordinance passes.

A public hearing will be held at the City Council meeting at 7 p.m. today to consider moving the ending date from May 1 to March 31. The Council is scheduled to vote on the issue Tuesday.

“I think it has a strong chance of being adopted,” Director of Eau Claire’s Department of Public Works Brian Amundson said. “We recognize that there are some people in the community who dislike alternate side parking.”

Senior Becky Wurzer said the proposal sounds appealing.

“That would be awesome,” she said. “It just seems kind of pointless that we still have to park on alternate sides when we know it’s not going to snow right now. Especially in the crowded areas like Water Street, it gets really hectic.”

Amundson said the current ending date of May 1 allows the city to sweep streets more quickly in the spring because one side is completely clear between midnight and 8 a.m.

“I think most people assume alternate side parking is used only for the purpose of snow removal,” he said.

If the ordinance passes, Amundson said, “it will be much less efficient to sweep the street … (but) if this is adopted, we’ll have to find another way.”

Newly re-elected District 3 Councilman Toby Biegel, who represents the Eau Claire campus and the Third Ward, said he does not favor changing the date.

“We’re looking at trying to deliver services in the most efficient way possible,” Biegel said. “We can’t be looking at things that are going to cost us more to deliver services.”

Councilman Dallas Neville said he proposed the change because of repeated requests from residents of District 2, which he represents. He said the amount of support from residents will have an impact on whether the Council approves the ordinance.

“If the public that supports the ideas fails to make contact with the City Council … and if they do not have a good showing at the public hearing … I suspect it will have a tough time passing,” he said.

Neville said reasons to pass the ordinance include convenience for residents, the ability to clear out driveways for children to play in during the spring and energy conservation from not having to start cars to move them across the street.

“Frankly, this is a little unique, such a long odd-even parking season,” he said.

If the ordinance passes, it would go into effect April 17 of this year, said City Clerk Donna Austad. Ordinances go into effect upon publication in the Leader-Telegram, which usually happens within a week after the Council approves them.