Getting ready to take the stage

Chris Kemp

The stage is almost set for the speeches, food and entertainment that make up the atmosphere of the 33rd annual Honors Banquet. This event recognizes students who have achieved high academic success.

Beginning Monday, Honors Week features different events throughout the course of the week that, with the exception of the banquet, which takes place on Saturday, April 23 in Davies Center, are free and open to the public.

Behind the scenes, however, students have put in long hours since last fall to prepare for the day-long affair.

“(The banquet) all depends on the students and how involved they want to be,” said Diane Bilderback, program assistant in the office of Student Development and Diversity.

Annual Honors Week Highlights
April 18 to 24

Tuesday
* 6 p.m. Banquet and awards presentation – Ojibwa Room, Davies Center.

* 7 p.m. Initiation and presentation of the Karl Andresen Scholarship Award – Alumni Room, Davies Center.

* 8 p.m. Banquet and induction – Presidents Room, Davies Center.

Wednesday
* 4 p.m. Economics faculty debate – Davies Theatre, Davies Center.

* 10 p.m. Midnight scavenger hunt – Towers residence hall lobby.

Thursday
* 8 p.m. to midnight Annual SOPHS telethon with TV 10 – Towers TV Lounge.

Saturday
* 2 to 5 p.m. Combined reception – Council Fire Room, Davies Center.

* 5:30 p.m. 2005 Honors banquet – Spruce and Tamarack Rooms, Davies Center.

– University News Bureau

The planning committee comprises students from the 34 honor societies at UW- Eau Claire and a few advisers, Bilderback said.

“All the (societies) are encouraged to send representatives for the committee … to make plans that occur during Honors Week,” she said.

Senior Ryan Prechel said there are different scholastic organizations, and specific academic groups, that are represented in the honor groups.

Prechel, who was Master of Ceremonies for the last two years, said the only really noticeable thing that changes from year to year is the entertainment.

“Last year we had a quartet in the beginning and then the Statesmen sang,” he said. “(We’re) cutting down a little on entertainment and (presenting) more awards so it doesn’t drag on for people.”

This year’s banquet will feature a string quartet that will be playing while people eat, Prechel said.

Assistant Dean of Student Development and Diversity Jodi Thesing-Ritter said that students do the bulk of the planning.

Bilderback said that among the items that needed to be planned out for the event were the menu, cover design for the brochure and the entertainment for the evening.

The event draws a large crowd, which past attendance numbers can confirm.

“(Attendance) has been as low as 450 and one year was 700 or a little over,” Bilderback said.

Junior Andrea Boh is one of the students who was invited to attend the banquet.

“You have to be at the top percentage of your class and have to be initiated into an organization,” she said of the reasons why she qualified to receive an invitation.

Boh, who is involved in several leadership organizations, said she will be out of town for the banquet but would otherwise attend the function.

She said that joining organizations “makes me feel more involved with things on campus.”

Thesing-Ritter, who is also the program’s coordinator, added that, “(The banquet) is a wonderful opportunity for the campus to recognize outstanding students and the scholarship.”