Forum finale

Media and politics will take center stage Tuesday at the eighth annual Ann Devroy Memorial Forum, bringing The Forum lecture series to a close for the academic year.

Ann Devroy Memorial Forum

Featuring: Mike McCurry
Time: 7:30 p.m.
Date: Tuesday
Place: Schofield Auditorium, Schofield Hall
Cost:
Free, but tickets are required and available at the Service Center, by calling 836-3727 or at the door.

Mike McCurry, former White House press secretary and State Department spokesman, is scheduled to speak at 7:30 p.m. in Schofield Auditorium. His presentation is entitled “Spinners & Snarks: Troubled Times in the Press-Politician Relationship and What to Do About It.”

A veteran in his field, McCurry served as press secretary to President Bill Clinton from 1995-1998 as well as spokesman for the Department of State from 1993-1995.

The Ann Devroy Memorial Forum is an annual event, inserted into The Forum lecture series, in honor of UW-Eau Claire alumna Ann Devroy, a former White House correspondent for The Washington Post who died in 1997 of cancer.

In addition to McCurry, the forum will include the announcement of the 2005 Ann Devroy Fellowship recipient, who will receive a three-week residency at The Washington Post and a paid internship at a Wisconsin daily newspaper, according to a university press release.

Sponsors for Tuesday’s Forum include The Washington Post Company, the Communication and Journalism department, UW-Eau Claire Foundation Inc., Wisconsin Newspaper Association, Leader-Telegram and the Forum Series.