Center prepares for face-lift

Students may walk by the tiny room across from the bookstore in Davies Center on a daily basis without so much as a passing thought.

However, those involved with the Diversity Resource Center are hoping to change that, with a renovation plan in the works.

Junior DRC co-chair Carly Wickhem said the renovation would include new bookshelves, covers for the couches, a new rug, new furniture and works of art to hang on the walls “to make it a little more inviting.”

“I really think (the center is) something that everyone can find a way to use,” she said.

Wickhem’s co-chair, senior Heather Hanewall, agreed the center’s reserves are available to students who don’t even realize they have access.

“We have this DRC that’s so good, it has so many resources in it … but yet, hardly anyone uses it,” she said.

The Student Life and Diversity Commission is sponsoring an art contest in conjunction with the renovation, according to a Student Senate press release. Applicants are asked to consider the question, “What does diversity mean to you?”

Projects can be any form of artistic medium and have the chance of being displayed in the center once it is revamped, according to the release.

To advertise, the DRC has put up flyers with the hopes of attracting a good-sized group of student artists, said senior DRC coordinator Saskia Harak.

“We knew that we had a lot of really great artists at Eau Claire,” she said. “We’ve seen their work in a lot of other areas and we hope that they will consider contributing to the DRC.”

Contest submissions are due by 5 p.m. on May 2 in the Student Senate office.

Harak said the overall goal of the revamp and art contest is to educate students about the center.

“I definitely think it is a resource that students should use more often,” she said. “That’s why we’re renovating, so that students know it’s there.”