Biegel, Klenz butt heads one last time

Chris Kemp

Downtown revitalization, conditional use permits and minimum wage all took center stage as issues discussed by the two candidates for Eau Claire’s District 3 City Council seat in a debate Wednesday afternoon in Schofield Auditorium.

Incumbent Toby Biegel and challenger Adrian Klenz faced off to a crowd of nearly 20 students, faculty and community members.

Biegel, who has been on the Council for four years, focused on his experience in community politics, as well as his dedication to the Eau Claire community.

“I bring a definite needed edge to the council,” Biegel said, stating he’s been “both a student and a resident, renter and landlord.”

Klenz, a UW-Eau Claire alumnus and former Student Senate president, emphasized his ability to relate to students.

“I still have a good working relationship with the university, its administration and its students,” he said.

The candidates answered three questions each and had an opportunity for rebuttal. Other topics included off-street parking, the city budget and student involvement.

Despite their differences in political opinion, both candidates came to the same conclusion regarding the outcome of the debate.

“I thought it went well,” Biegel said. “Although, I wish it wasn’t so negative.”

Klenz agreed, “I was hoping it could be more positive. It’s frustrating being the challenger because you are labeled as being negative.”

Negativity, an issue both candidates believe has overshadowed the campaign, was addressed when the candidates were asked to come up with something positive to say about their opponent.

“He is an intensive leader,” Biegel said of Klenz. “I’ve also heard that he’s a good musician.”

Klenz said, “(Biegel) is a great campaigner … he’s put in a lot of work, and I applaud him for that.”

Biegel then offered Klenz “an olive branch” and called for an end to negative campaigning by both candidates.

Freshman Jocelyn Pade decided to support Klenz after both candidates came to speak at a recent College Democrats meeting.

“I love talking to people about the issues and telling them what (Klenz) stands for,” she said. “I want to make sure (students) know that there is a City Council election.”

Pade, a political science major and student volunteer for the Klenz campaign, volunteered to sit at a booth Friday in Davies Center, handing out campaign buttons and literature.

Senior Marc Caruso opted to support the Biegel campaign after both candidates came and asked for his support, he said.

“I looked at the candidates, and Toby was for the students,” he said. “I want to make sure students realize that they have a choice.

“This election is important because it will have a direct impact on students in the district. For some, it will decide whether or not they can afford to go to school next year,” Caruso said.

Although the District 3 race has been a hot topic of discussion among students and residents in the last few months, they shouldn’t be too upset if their candidate doesn’t win, said Rodd Freitag, associate professor and political science chair.

“(People) have to keep in mind that it is just one seat on the council,” Freitag said.

The main focus will be on “budgeting kinds of concerns,” he said “As budgets remain tight, all cities in Wisconsin are going to have to ask themselves ‘With X amount of dollars coming in, how are we going to provide services for the people?’ “