Retiree volunteers time, helps students with internships

Instead of taking time to go fishing or enjoy some much-needed relaxation, Craig Carlson has decided to spend a portion of his retired life helping the students of UW-Eau Claire.

Carlson currently volunteers at Career Services from 1 to 4 p.m. on Wednesdays as a retired executive director of the Eau Claire Area Economic Development Corporation, said Director of Career Services Jeanne Skoug.

“He is extremely knowledgeable of all the businesses and employers in the Chippewa Valley,” she said.

Skoug said she has known Carlson since she started at Eau Claire seven years ago. She said while she’s known Carlson, he’s served as a mentor to her as well as to the students he has worked with.

Carlson said meeting individually with students and spending time trying to help each student is important to him.

“I’m not looking for numbers, it’s more a quality than quantity kind of situation,” he said. “In many cases, I’m trying to do a one-on-one.”

Carlson, who has a bachelor’s degree in business and a master’s degree in guidance and counseling in higher education, was born and raised in the area. He has worked at the University of Wisconsin Extension as a community development agent, where he worked on of economic development.

He also has worked for the state of Wisconsin helping people find employment. Carlson said he is able to help students find employment or contacts in the Chippewa Valley because he is so familiar with many of the businesses around the area.

He said he decided to volunteer with Career Services because he enjoys lending a helping hand.

“I like to help people,” he said. “I’ve always been oriented that way. I like to stay involved.”

Eileen Oswald, a career adviser for Career Services, said she is grateful that Carlson has chosen to spend his time off helping students.

“I think he’s been a real asset to the Career Services area,” she said. “I hope students take advantage of him being up here because he has a wealth of knowledge and he can really give them insight on different jobs.”

Senior Stephanie Peebles, a Discovery Center associate for Career Services, has an internship through Carlson with the Beaver Creek Reserve.

“He’s very helpful, and he knows a lot of people,” she said. “He’s really nice and easy to talk to.”

Skoug said if students are interested in meeting with Carlson, all they have to do is call Career Services and make an appointment.

“We’re really trying to get the word out to any student at any stage, freshman through senior. If they’re interested in exploring internship opportunities in the Chippewa Valley or part-time jobs, then he’s a wonderful connection,” she said. “It’s a real gift to (have him for) the students.”