Religious service learning ban stands

The issue of religious proselytization for service learning credit officially has moved beyond campus, as it appears in local media outlets, as well as in The Associated Press and USA Today.

As the nation took notice, 55 members of University Senate convened Tuesday to work toward a resolution.

Arguments for and against the ban were largely limited to the same arguments that arose at Academic Policies Committee meetings. The committee ruled in favor of the ban by an 8-2 margin.

Much of the ban’s support stemmed from the leverage used by System Legal Council – legal representative of the UW System – to influence the university to approve the ban. In the event that the university would enact policy conflicting with System Legal’s wishes, it no longer would be required to represent the university in a lawsuit.

Provost and Vice Chancellor Ron Satz said he knows from experience that this means System Legal Council certainly won’t represent the university if it rejects the ban.

For this reason, he said he would enforce a ban on religious proselytization, regardless of the ruling by University Senate, as long as System Legal remains in support of it.

“It’s a no-brainer for me. Until I’m advised by System Legal to the contrary, I would be following the constitution of the state of Wisconsin and the constitution of the United States.”

While Satz’ comments give University Senate’s impending ruling on the issue no practical purpose, he tried not to negate all of its influence.

“The senate can do a lot of things. It can vote to censure me. It can tell me I’m a bad provost. It could boo me. But what it can’t do is force me to disobey the law,” he said.

“It would be nice if University Senate and System Legal Council were on the same page, but if they’re not, I have to look to System Legal Council.”

An opponent of the ban, Geology professor and APC Chairman Kent Syverson, expressed disappointment in Satz’ words.

“Here at Eau Claire, faculty is supposed to have control of curriculum,” he said. “If he is going to do that, he gives the control to System Legal.”

Regardless of the ultimately irrelevant position held by University Senate, it still is scheduled to come to a ruling on the issue when it next convenes Nov. 23 in the Tamarack Room of Davies Center.