Schultz addresses student concerns

As the College Republicans gathered for their debate-watching party in Schneider Hall Friday night, a familiar face greeted them.

State Senator Dale Schultz spoke to the group prior to and following the debate about his race against Rep. Ron Kind, D-Wis. Schultz is challenging Kind’s 3rd congressional district seat, which includes UW-Eau Claire, UW-La Crosse, UW-River Falls and UW-Stout.

He said he’s well aware of how many students live in the district he’s vying to represent.

“I have enjoyed nothing more than being on college campuses,” Schultz said in regards to visiting every university in the district.

He also said students will play a large role in his campaign and that he enjoys speaking to college students the same way he speaks to businessmen.

“I think sometimes people in my role think you should go to a college campus and talk differently to kids than you would businesspeople,” Schultz said. “I see all of us wanting the same things.”

Sophomore Eric Duwe said he was undecided on who to vote for before hearing Schultz’s speech.

“After hearing Dale speak tonight, I plan on voting for Dale,” he said. “He seems to relate to us as students and has clear intentions to really represent us as students.”

Schultz, who has served in the state legislature for more than 20 years, also said he believes national dollars should be given to the state to fund higher education.

“There’s enormous opportunity here to bring more dollars into the state,” he said.

He also said the most disturbing aspect he has faced in the legislature is the efforts to rip-off student fees.

“That’s your money,” Schultz said. “You deserve to have the system be accountable to you.”

In addition to appealing to younger voters, he said the two main things he’s focusing his campaign on are trust and security.

“A lot of (businessmen) are concerned with congressman Kind being trusted to do the right thing with regards to jobs,” Schultz said.

While he said globalization is partly to blame for problems such as outsourcing and free trade agreements, he added he believes we need to restructure the way the United States handles trade.

Another issue Schultz said he feels strongly about is lowering the drinking age to 18.

“I think, and I have always thought … that students are important,” he said. “If you are important enough to send to Iraq, to defend this country … then it seems to me you ought to be able to be trusted to go have a beer across the street.”

Schultz also commented on his career and said he truly loves being a politician.

“It is a wonderful way to go through life, meeting lots of people,” he said. “What you say can make a difference … it’s a wonderful privilege.”