Ride boards have high-tech options

A former Florida State University student and a UW-Eau Claire senior have something in common.

Brennan Dunn, the president and founder of Homebound Network.com, and senior Kristen Hutchins both acknowledged the convenience of online ride boards in lieu of bulletin boards.

“I think it’s beneficial to everyone involved.”
Mark Ziesemer
Senior

Hutchins, who could sometimes be found scanning the bulletin board in Davies Center, said it’s a little bit more convenient to use Eau Claire’s online ride board, which was rewritten and redesigned three years ago by senior Mark Ziesemer, in cooperation with Hall Council.

Dunn created and maintains the site that serves students attending 12,000 colleges nationwide.

Seeing the same empty cars donning university decals that reappeared hundreds of miles later drove Dunn, then a student at FSU, to create the Web site, which matches drivers with students seeking rides.

Students may create a user account, requiring an address where payments should be mailed, a password and a university e-mail address.

However, on busyblugold.com, a site run by co-creators senior Brad Bannach and Brian Racer, anyone who has accessed HomeboundNetwork.com may view postings. But if they wish to reserve a ride, they’ll have to create an account.

Ziesemer said it’s a lot easier for students to use the university ride board because they already have an account.

Students who have opted to create an account with Homebound Network are sent an e-mail including an activation link. Then, the student’s home page will display reserved or created trips, Watchdog settings, which will inform users of posted trips to their desired destination, and news about their hometown or school.

Drivers may post rides and riders can search for departure dates, trips going close to their destination and trips that are gender specific. Students may reserve the spot and pay instantly online.

Trips typically cost 2 cents per mile round trip. For example, a 300 or 400 mile trip costs $30. The driver would receive about $25.

Once these passengers-to-be receive a receipt, they’re given the driver’s contact information. The driver receives an e-mail too.

While Ziesemer said Homebound Network.com is a well-designed site, the corporate presence bothers him.

“It’s basically set up (as) more of a business, whereas a student wanting a ride … would actually have to pay Homebound, and it’s done at set rates, and the driver’s actually mailed the check … they’re always going to make a profit.”

However, Ziesemer said the e-mail confirmation sent once matches are found is one “cool feature” of the site. Homebound Network also can match a UW-Stout student with an Eau Claire student, something Eau Claire’s system can’t do, he said.

“That was actually something we had talked about when we redesigned (the site),” he said, “because Stout, for example, did have pretty good participation in the … system (in Davies).” He said Stout’s presence was eliminated because their students don’t have Eau Claire user names and passwords.

“I think (online ride boards are) beneficial to everyone involved,” Ziesemer said. “Because of the system, we know we’re all students. Half of the time, it ends up being someone who has already been in a class with (you) or (you’ve) seen around campus.”

Hutchins said she feels safe using the ride board.

“I think it’s a really good way to get to meet people,” she said, “as well as just … a lot more convenient and safe.”

Dunn agreed, “It’s more convenient than the more traditional ways of things – running around asking people (for rides).”