Fitness month declared

Balls will fly more frequently, and Student Senate may be seen running in packs due to the decisions made at its Monday night meeting in the Tamarack Room in Davies Center.

The Competitive Dodgeball of Eau Claire’s Constitution and a resolution deeming October health issues month both passed unanimously during Senate’s half-an-hour meeting.

Senator Aaron Olson, the author of the resolution, said it will encourage senators to work out as a group and keep track of their weight and fitness.

“Senate is just providing an example of what a healthy lifestyle is,” he said. “Having a month to promote health issues provides an example.”

Reasons for the resolution, he continued, include the fact that 27 percent of adult males and 34 percent of adult females are considered obese. Wisconsin is one of the top five fattest states and that a healthy lifestyle promotes success in school.

“Leading a well-balanced diet and (having an) exercise routine are a necessary part to doing well in school,” Olson said. “If you eat right, exercise, you’re going to feel better.”

While October usually is set aside for other themes, he said, this will be the first health issues month.

Student Senate Vice President Meredith Marx will schedule and lead a weekly physical activity routine, according to the resolution.

Senator Jeremy Ralston said the resolution will be successful among Senate because it promotes working out in a group as opposed to exercising individually.

Other efforts allow senators to sign up for Energize Eau Claire County, a promotion organized by the County Health Board, according to the resolution.

While the resolution focuses on Student Senate, President Chad Wade said it has the potential to extend to other students. Students who want to participate in the weekly workout routine, he said, are encouraged to do so.

Although it passed unanimously, the resolution was debated, leaving Wade slightly perplexed as to how Senate has operated in its past meetings this semester.

It’s hard to tell, Wade said, if debate has been minimal because he’s dealing with a young Senate or because every issue so far has a common good too obvious to debate against.

“We’re trying to do things that people are going to be interested in and try and tackle the tough issues.”