Crop Walk kicks off National Hunger Awareness Week

UW-Eau Claire will host the annual CROP WALK this weekend as the kick off to National Hunger Awareness Week.

The CROP WALK is a national organization involving the participation of 3,000 community churches.

Of the total funds raised, 25 percent is given to food pantries to help feed families with low or no income. The remaining 75 percent is used by Church World Service, the event’s sponsor, in relief and development assistance programs in more than 80 countries.

“This is for a good cause. Many groups believe in this.”
Janet Carson
CROPWALK coordinator

Church World Service provides essentials such as blankets, food and tents and makes more efficient use of the land to the world over.

Janet Carson, Eau Claire’s CROP WALK coordinator, has been involved with the event since its debut in Eau Claire 25 years ago.

Carson, a retired Eau Claire professor, accepted the position as coordinator 11 years ago.

“I took this job on because I believe they do very good work. It is a big job, but I believe in it whole-heartedly,” she said.

Wisconsin has been ranked among the most active in participation and among the most generous states at the level of giving.

Carson said 400 walkers raised $20,000 in Eau Claire alone at the 2003 CROP WALK.

Many local organizations and churches are involved in this fund-raiser, Carson said.

“This is for a good cause,” she said. “Many groups believe in this effort.”

Participants may solicit pledges for the one, three or five mile route or can pledge for themselves.

The campus also has been very involved with the organization as well.

Paula Stuettgen, senior coordinator of Student Development and Programs, has participated in the event for two years and helps bring student volunteers to the walk.

“We really need students to pledge,” Stuettgen said. “This addresses hunger issues worldwide.”

Students from honor societies such as Alpha Phi Omega and Golden Key National Honor Society will assist in setting up, directing walkers and providing water and apples for participants.

Crop Walk
Time:
2 p.m.
Date: Sunday
Place: Carson Park

Students interested in participating in or assisting with the walk should stop by Room 133 at the Activities and Programs office in Davies Center.

Students may pick up an information packet or sign up to volunteer.