Sept. 11 keeps foreign students away

The events of Sept. 11, 2001 affected a wide range of people in many ways. The impact of that day changed the lives of not only those living in the United States, but people around the globe.

UW-Eau Claire’s Center for International Education experienced a decline in international students attending the university following Sept. 11. And, while the number of international students has increased this year, it remains slightly lower than the number of those at Eau Claire in the fall of 2001.

International Study Advisor Phil Huelsbeck said the decrease in international students was a national trend following Sept. 11.

“The numbers were pretty much down nationwide,” he said, citing increases in security and paperwork as factors.

“(Applying for a visa) is a complicated process to begin with, but once it got elongated, it was even tougher,” he said.

During the fall of 2001, Eau Claire was host to 154 international students. This semester, 147 international students are studying on campus, according to the Center for International Education.

Huelsbeck said many international students chose to study in countries such as England, Canada and Australia following Sept. 11.

Graduate student Gundega Vaska, from Latvia, is attending Eau Claire on a scholarship. She said she didn’t have a problem obtaining a student visa.

“For me, it was very easy,” she said.

Vaska added what happened on Sept. 11 didn’t affect her decision to study in the United States.

“Personally, it didn’t worry me,” she said. “It’s my first time in the U.S.A., and I’m very glad for the experience.”

Graduate student Girts Milgravis is in the United States through the same scholarship program as Vaska. He agreed that Sept. 11 didn’t affect his decision to come to America.

“I guess (it may affect me) if (the program) would be in New York City or L.A.,” he said. adding that Eau Claire, being a smaller city, seems safe.

The region students are from has an effect on their ability to obtain a student visa, Huelsbeck said. While Eau Claire used to attract a few students from Middle Eastern countries such as Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, it is now very difficult for those students to get a visa, he said.

Huelsbeck said he’s happy with the number of international students studying at Eau Claire this year.

“I would say for our time and place right now, I think we’re … very good,” he said.