Insurance plan may change

Rising health care costs have caused Student Senate to reevaluate the current student insurance plan to decrease losses to the program.

At Senate’s Monday night meeting, the university’s insurance agent of record, Don Southard Sr., presented the problem.

He said last year was probably the worst experience with a student health insurance program in the years he’s been the agent for UW-Eau Claire.

There were 183 claims in the 2002-03 school year, and the plan had a loss rate of 120 percent. For the current school year, Southard said the plan already has 89 claims filed and is at a 50 percent loss rate.

Southard said about 4 percent of students use the university’s student insurance policy.

Of all universities in the state, Southard said Eau Claire is the only one that allows the student body to help decide the student health program.

Eau Claire students pay a $427 premium, UW-Stout students pay $575 and other System school students pay about $875 in premiums, Southard said.

The current plan, approved by Senate a year ago, offers the $427 premium, a $200 deductible for major medical and guarantees no more than a 10 percent rate increase. For the 2004-05 school year, the premium would rise to $470.

The bill before Senate to adjust the program would double the deductible for major medical, set the premium at $460 and allow a maximum rate increase of 13 percent for the following academic year.

“We don’t have to change anything,” Senate President Chad Wade said.

While Senate could vote down the bill, Wade said the university would have a bad record and be less attractive to insurance companies when it looks for bids for the 2005-07 school years.

“This option gives the program a chance to get well again,” Wade said.

Senate will vote on the bill at next week’s meeting.

Earlier in the meeting, students from United Hall Council asked Senate to consider funding gazebos for smokers.

UHC President Helen Franckowiak said the state passed a law in March banning smoking closer than 25 feet from residence halls.

UHC proposes erecting up to seven gazebos, costing $3,000 each, near the residence halls. Franckowiak said Housing and Residence Life approved the gazebos, but asked UHC to go elsewhere for funding.

Franckowiak said the fine for smoking too close to the residence halls is $10, but she doubts the University Police will fine violators.

With only one Senate meeting and one Senate Finance Commission meeting left, Finance Director Matt Wisnefske said there isn’t enough time for Senate to make a special allocation.

“It’s not gonna go anywhere this semester,” he said.

To get funding from Senate, Wisnefske said UHC would need to get a bill through Senate and a special allocation from the Finance Commission.

In other smoking-related news, Student Services Commission director Aaron Olson announced next week as Lights Out Week. The week is designed as a time for smokers to stop smoking for a week and maybe quit permanently.