Mom talks about anorexia

Molly Tumanic

One month before her suicide, Anna Westin wrote in her journal about the torture of eating disorders.

“This girl who wants so desperately to be free from this body and the disease that inhabits it,” she wrote.

Since her daughter’s suicide four years ago, Kitty Westin dedicated her life to providing hope to those who suffer from eating disorders.

Westin spoke Thursday night in Schofield Auditorium to UW-Eau Claire students about the seriousness of eating disorders and their fatal effects.

In 1995, doctors diagnosed Westin’s daughter Anna with the eating disorder anorexia nervosa. Anna was 16.

Anna went through several different treatments. Westin said some would seem to work, but a relapse was always close behind.

Doctors told Westin without treatment, Anna would most likely die.

But the Westin’s insurance company did not cover her medical treatment.

Their insurance company, Blue Cross and Blue Shield, told Westin it was not medically necessary and they would not provide assistance to the family.

Anna lost hope and on Feb. 17, 2000, she ended her life, Westin said.

Students Against Eating Disorders organized the event to create awareness of anorexia during eating disorders week on campus.

The causes of eating disorders can be a combination of elements, ranging from genetics to culture, Westin said.

“Media promotes body dissatisfaction because of their unrealistic standards,” she said.

Westin said she blames the media partially for the influences they have over body images in magazine advertisements. They could be labeled as soft pornography and target a young audience, she said.

Eating disorders need to be addressed because they are prevalent on campus, said senior Sara Nolta, an SAED member.

Westin said some symptoms of eating disorders are the elimination of entire food groups or meals, isolation from friends and family and the individual constantly thinking about his or her body image and weight.

Eating disorders not only affect the body physically but also affect people mentally, Westin said.

One can become depressed, irritable and can seem like a different person altogether, she said.

“Prevention is the best treatment for eating disorders,” Westin said.

Westin and her family dealt with Anna’s death by channeling all their anger and all their grief into something positive.

In February 2000, just days after Anna’s death, her family introduced the Anna Westin Foundation, which focuses on raising awareness about the disorders, being an advocate for those with eating disorders and supporting their families.

“It takes around seven years for a person to recover from an eating disorder,” Westin said.

Senior Erica Carey, an SAED member gave advice about helping those with eating disorders.

“The SAED exists to connect and redirect people who need help,” Carey said.

If you need to approach someone with a disorder, do not blame the individual.You should create suggestions of help and do not take it personally if he or she is upset, Carey said.

“Kitty Westin is a strong and courageous woman,” senior Scott Halvorson said. “It’s amazing that she has done so much at the political level to create awareness.”

Westin is involved in the Eating Disorders Coalition for Research, Policy and Action, which pushes policy makers and lawmakers to address eating disorder issues.