Senate finalizes activities budget

In the continuation of Student Senate’s deliberations of the $2.5 million Organized Activities Budget Monday night, amendments met their creation and demise.

From all the discussion at the two budget deliberation meetings, the end result for individual students was an increase of $7 per year to student segregated fees, raising the total price of those fees to $253 per student.

Proposed amendments for free student tickets to theater performances, increased funding to Health Services, decreasing lawyer fees for students and increasing the salary of the Senate treasurer all failed during budget deliberations.

In a dramatic turn of events, Senator Josh Pade proposed giving free tickets to students for the 40 theater performances held each academic year at a cost of $30,000.

“The way our budget is written right now – it creates two separate UWECs,” he said with a melodramatic tone accompanied by muddled laughter from other senators.

Pade argued that theater is not just for entertainment, but also an educational experience and theatrical events should get “equal treatment” when compared to athletic events. Other senators argued that the theater department should’ve asked for the money themselves with a complete proposal including research.

University Activities Commission director Steve Davis, a theater major, said he liked the idea but more planning is needed. For students who want to see a show for free, he suggested an alternative he’s taken advantage of in the past.

“If students want to see the shows for free … then usher,” he said.

The amendment failed 16-13.

President Adrian Klenz had to vote on an amendment to give $20,000 to Health Services. Usually Klenz doesn’t vote, but to break a 13-13 tie, he cast his “nay” vote to kill the amendment.

Senator Matt Flaten proposed an amendment lowering the cost of meeting with the campus attorney from $10 to $5. Most of Senate objected. That amendment failed 21-7-1.

Finance Commission director Chad Wade suggested an amendment increasing the salary of the Senate treasurer by $300 beyond the approved raise to help elevate the position to chief-of-staff, complete with added responsibilities. The amendment failed 17-4-1.

Only one thing changed from the budget proposal made by the Senate Finance Commission after about five hours of debate over two Mondays. Raises for the Senate president, vice president, parliamentarian, treasurer and directors were approved last week. The positions got raises of 42 percent, adding $7,657.50 to the budget.

The budget passed 24-0.

After a seven minute recess, 28 Senate members returned to discuss unfinished business.

For the rest of the meeting, Senate discussed a resolution granting sponsorship to all City Council candidates so they could campaign on campus property without requiring the approval of another student organization. The resolution passed 13-7-3.