Convicted sex offender may be released

Eau Claire County authorities will decide Feb. 9 whether a convicted sex offender will be released from a state institution.

A judge dismissed a sexual predator petition filed against Michael J. Thorson, 39, in mid-January, according to court records. Thorson will be released unless prosecutors can convince Eau Claire County Judge Benjamin Proctor to reverse the decision.

UW-Eau Claire students had a variety of reactions to Thorson’s possible release.

“Everyone deserves a second chance,” said junior Jennifer Brey. While he should have a chance at leaving the prison system, he should be committed to a psychiatric ward, she said. “Obviously he’s very confused. He needs some sort of mental help.”

While he agreed that Thorson needs assistance, junior Ross Endres said he didn’t like thinking about Thorson back on the streets.

“A man like that doesn’t deserve his freedom,” Endres said. The justice system needs to punish sex two counts of contributing to the delinquency of a child. The charges stemmed from Thorson’s sexual contact with a 10- and 12-year-old girl, according to the complaint.

Eau Claire County convicted Thorson of attempted second-degree sexual assault by use of threat or violence in 1991.

The charges came after Thorson attempted to assault a woman in her car in an Eau Claire parking lot, according to the complaint.

Thorson received 11 years in prison for the incident.

On Sept. 20, 2000, Thorson was released on parole after a jury found him suitable for release.

He returned to prison on June 2002 after he violated his parole and had contact with an 8-year-old boy, according to court records. Thorson’s lawyer argued that his client lost parole due to a simple rules violation and not sexual misconduct.

The motion hearing is scheduled for Monday, Feb. 9.

View Comments (1)