Charges filed against alleged attack victim

After an investigation lasting about two weeks, city officials filed charges against the reported victim of the Nov. 5 on-campus stabbing after she admitted fabricating the event, according to court documents.

Former UW-Eau Claire student Emily Faye Piette faces one charge of resisting or obstructing an officer at a 10 a.m. hearing today in Branch 2 Courtroom at the Eau Claire County Courthouse.

Piette, who no longer attends UW-Eau Claire, declined any comment Monday.

“Everything got out
of control.”

Emily Faye Piette
Former UW-Eau Claire student, in a police report

According to the documents, Piette told an investigating officer on Nov. 20 she dropped a small paring knife while alone behind Governors Hall and called her friends, saying she had been attacked. Piette’s friends then called the police.

When the police arrived, Piette said, “everything got out of control,” and filed the police report as a way of gaining support from her friends, according to the documents.

Lt. David Sprick, who will be the interim director of University Police as of Feb. 1, postponed comment until after today’s hearing, saying the matter was in the hands of the district attorney.

District Attorney Richard White will prosecute at the hearing. The maximum penalty for the resisting or obstructing an officer charge is $10,000, up to nine months of prison time or both.

Students seemed glad to hear the news.

Governors Hall resident Amanda Bretl, a freshman, said the campus would likely calm down and agreed with the charges against Piette.

“If she fabricated it and made everyone worry, then she should have consequences (brought against her),” she said.

Sophomore Jessica DeVillers, also a Governors Hall resident, said her friends began bringing cell phones while walking around campus, but additional security measures reassured her.

After hearing the news, she said, “I do feel safer.”