Greenwood, mom get football honors

Attitude, character and enthusiasm make up the ACE Award, which is given each year to a UW-Eau Claire football player who exemplifies these characteristics. The Blugold football team and coach picked junior Justin Greenwood as this year’s recipient.

“He went from a non-starter to the best defensive player in one off-season,” coach Todd Hoffner said. “Attitude had something to do with it.”

In honor of the work he has done before and after his critical injury, the ACE Award was renamed the Justin Greenwood Award.

“We want him to be remembered for what he was and what we all should strive to be,” Hoffner said. “Justin’s going to leave a lasting impression on this program.”

Greenwood’s mother, Glenda, was selected as the Fan of the Year.

She was on the sidelines cheering for her son at nearly all of his games and now in the hospital during his recovery. Every day Justin continues to improve.

Fundraisers continue to add to the Justin Greenwood Recovery fund. The next event is a men’s slowpitch softball tournament.

Nate Bailey, who grew up with Justin, organized the tournament to help Justin out.
The event is Jan. 3 and 4 at the Eau Claire Indoor Sports Center. Teams of no more than 10 players can register for $100 by calling Bailey at 552-1200.

The first place team wins $100 and the rest of the raised monies will be donated to the recovery fund.

He is eating on his own and is initiating more conversation, Glenda said Wednesday. Justin also is walking really well, even without his eyesight.

There is nothing wrong with his eyes, but the portion of the brain that signals sight is not functioning, Glenda said.

She said his therapy would be a lot easier for him if he could see, but his keen senses have enabled him to feel around when he is moving.

Although his discharge from Regions Hospital in St. Paul, Minn., continues to be delayed, Glenda is looking into the next step, which could be a move to the Courage Center rehabilitation home in Minneapolis.

Senior Josh Greenwood would like to have his brother and roommate back in Eau Claire.

Josh took the semester off to be with his brother during the first few weeks of his recovery. With an empty apartment and no classes he said he is going a little stir crazy.

“I guess I’m a little impatient,” he said, adding he will return to school in the spring.

As Justin progresses in his therapy, Josh visits his brother at least three times a week.

“I have to go over there and pick on him,” he said. “He still likes to mess with me. I try not to treat him differently.”

Glenda and Josh said they are so thankful for the support from the football team and the Eau Claire community.

“It’s breathtaking,” Josh said about the many donations his family received.

This kindness and generosity is their policy when it comes to their players, Hoffner said.

“It is normal procedure to try and shower our family members with support in trying times.”