‘OctSOBERfest’ aims to educate

Students looking for alternatives to drinking can find what they’re looking for during this week’s “OctSOBERfest.”

The event marks the beginning of National Collegiate Alcohol Awareness Week, which runs today through Sunday. UW-Eau Claire is one of 3,000 schools participating nationwide.

Junior Catherine Heidke, a member of the OctSOBERfest planning committee, said the group is trying to maintain a positive attitude about alcohol awareness.

“We don’t want to preach,” Heidke said. “It’s helping (students) to realize the dangers if they choose to drink.”

The week starts today with “A Day to Remember.” There will be 304 people dressed in black T-shirts to represent the 304 alcohol related deaths in Wisconsin last year. At 11:40 a.m. the group will hold a rally at the clock tower on the Campus Mall to discuss how alcohol has affected their lives.

Alcohol education coordinator Sarah Harvieux said the events are dedicated to those who have died in alcohol-related accidents.

Funeral bells will ring at 23 and 46 past the hour and crosses will be placed on the Campus Mall to remember those who have died. Another member of the OctSOBERfest planning committee, senior Emma Chambers, said events were scheduled for today to get students involved early in the week.

Harvieux said the idea is to emphasize that students can help other students make healthy choices.

Speaker Carolyn Cornelison also will highlight this idea in her presentations on making healthy decisions Wednesday. She will speak with faculty and staff at 3 p.m. in the Presidents Room of Davies Center and with students at 7 p.m. in Schofield Auditorium.

There are many other events throughout the week, including “mocktails” (non-alcoholic cocktails) and Casino Night 7 p.m. Thursday at Higherground. Residence hall karaoke night will begin at 10 p.m. Friday at Higherground.

To top off the week, Fear Factor$ will be held all day Sunday at Hilltop.

“We want students to realize how many options they have,” Chambers said.

This year there already have been 10 detox incidents on campus, compared to only 12 during all of last year, according to University Police records.

“A lot of people are shocked by the stats,” Heidke said. “Sometimes we need to hear the startling facts to bring us back to reality.”

Students looking for other ways to participate can stop by the booth in Davies Center for more information. At the booth, students can write on a paper brick how alcohol has affected their lives. A wall will be constructed with the bricks throughout the week.

“It is about helping keep our students safe,” Heidke said. “I am looking forward to see how this week has an impact on the campus.”