Japanese artist performs tonight

Traditional Japanese music, handcrafted masks, stylized movement and a touch of magic will be included during an evening of Japanese storytelling with performer Kuniko Yamamoto at UW-Eau Claire.

Yamamoto will be giving a true glimpse of culture, music and theater, said special events coordinator Beverly Soll. Yamamoto will perform a variety of entertainment, music, magic, mime, theater and storytelling, Soll said.

Kuniko Yamamoto
Japanese storyteller

Time: 7:30 p.m.
Date: Today
Place: Schofield Auditorium
Cost: $15 non-student
$13 student

Yamamoto is a native of Japan, where she received her bachelor of art degree in psychology from Otani University of Kyoto, Japan in 1983.

She received her first national exposure while performing Japanese storytelling at the Silk Road International Exposition and on Kansai National TV in 1985, according to her personal Web site.

Using short stories from the book of Kojiki, the oldest Japanese book, Yamamoto will characterize cultural and moral perspectives of Japan. Social ideas also will be illustrated through commentary and description of Japanese traditions, according to a press release.

Yamamoto will be available after the show to answer questions that one might have about her persentation. She was on campus last night giving a workshop at the Children’s Theatre, Soll said.

Yamamoto has been in the United States for the last 17 years, Soll said. She has been touring around Florida, where she lives, giving shows for the Florida public school system. She often presents her program at the Disney Epcot Japanese Pavilion and the Kennedy Center.

Soll advises everyone to “come see something a little different, see a different culture in a non-threatening way and talk to the artist afterwards.”

Yamamoto will be performing at 7:30 p.m. today in Schofield Auditorium. Admission is $15 for the public, and $13 for UW System or Chippewa Valley Technical College students and faculty with their ID.