Greenwood opens his eyes

Justin Greenwood continues to make progress, moving from surgical ICU to the medical surgical unit on the sixth floor and Wednesday to the ninth floor of Regions Hospital in St. Paul, Minn., to begin rehabilitation.

“We only know from day-to-day what’s going to happen,” Justin’s mother Glenda said in a phone interview from the hospital Wednesday before her son’s move. “I think it’s going to start happening soon,” she said of her hope for greater progress.

Leave a message forJustin Greenwood

Justin, a junior linebacker from UW-Eau Claire, was critically injured in a Sept. 27 football game. He is still listed in serious condition, Trish Faust, a public relations assistant at Regions, said Wednesday.

Greenwood expressed her excitement over Justin’s improvements each day. She appreciates any improvement but keeps from looking too far into the future.

“We look for a little bit of progress each day,” she said, “because that’s all you can ask for.”

Although he has not fully woken from his mild comatose state, Justin is responsive. Earlier Wednesday he opened both of his eyes half way, which is occurring more often now, Greenwood said.

“He is starting to do real purposeful movements,” she said.

On the ninth floor, Justin will have routine therapy with occupational, physical and speech therapists. The therapists will sit him up in a wheelchair and take him around familiar sounds to stimulate him, Greenwood said.

During his coma recovery program Justin will be allowed to have visitors. Even though he has not fully opened his eyes, Greenwood said he is responsive to some sounds and touch.

Junior quarterback Nels Fredrickson is taking advantage of the visiting hours. Wednesday morning he travelled to St. Paul to chat with his friend.

Fredrickson told Justin about the team’s past few games and cracked a few jokes. When he asked Justin to squeeze his hand, he did.

Every Wednesday Fredrickson plans on visiting Justin. On the days between, he and the rest of the team will continue thinking of Justin.

“It’s really weird (when we go onto the field without Justin),” he said.

Players are wearing wristbands in memory of Justin, “so he’s out there with us,” Fredrickson said.

A Web site informs family and friends of Justin’s progress each day and offers space to post a message for Justin or his family. Greenwood said she reads the messages to Justin and encourages people to continue writing.

The messages also serve as good therapy for Justin’s mother.

“It just makes you feel good (when reading the messages),” she said.

Although doctors can’t predict when Justin will wake up, Greenwood said she just prays every day that he will make progress.

“We just have to see what Justo does,” she said.

Justin’s brother Josh, an Eau Claire senior, withdrew from his classes this semester to be with his brother. His mother, who was attending Normandale Community College in Bloomington, Minn., also had to withdraw.

“We’re hanging in there,” she said. “We have to be strong for Justin.”