Committees have several open spots

Aaron Vehling

A slew of openings on various committees throughout campus are great opportunities for students to get involved with everything that happens at the university, the Student Senate vice president said.

Junior Kate Demerse said she’s frustrated with the amount of students needed to fill vacancies on various committees, but it’s not unusual.

“Obviously, I wish that on the first day of school we had a line (of interested students),” Demerse said.

But the truth of the matter is, many students don’t realize what kind of an effect they can have on campus, she said. They also don’t realize how easy it is to sign up.

While not necessarily associated with Senate, many committees need student input that often goes unheard.

“It’s up to us,” Demerse said.

In some cases prerequisites exist, but generally all it takes for students to become involved is to sign up. Requirements may include GPA, the specific college the student is in or year in school.

Often some of these committees never find student representation because nobody is interested in signing up, Demerse said.

Applications for those interested in committee positions can be picked up in Davies 132B through program assistant Colleen Bader.