Big turnout expected for Parents’ Weekend

Clean your room and hide your beer cans – Mom and Dad are coming for this year’s UW-Eau Claire’s Parents’ Weekend.

And this weekend promises to be a busy one, said assistant director of Housing and Resident Life Jodi Thesing-Ritter.

Junior Miriam Rafferty, president of National Residence Hall Honorary organization, said the expected turnout for this weekend appears to be “significantly more than we’ve had (in the past).”

Thesing-Ritter agreed, saying more than 700 families have been registered for the weekend, making for a total of about 1,500 people within the families. A typical turnout consists of about 500 families and 900 to 1,000 people.

Bill Cosby’s show on campus likely helped increase attendance over the weekend, she said. Tickets to Cosby’s shows were sold out as of Wednesday afternoon, according to the University Service Center.

Working to coordinate the weekend are 42 NRHH students hosts.

Junior Catherine Heidke is a campus representative for NRHH. The whole group is helping out, she said.

“All of us have a part in the weekend,” Heidke said.

Heidke will be working the continental breakfast Saturday, the Sunday brunch and making balloon bouquets for the events. Beyond this, much of what NRHH members will be involved in is greeting and ushering people at various events throughout the weekend.

“(They’re an) amazing group who works very hard to show the university in the best possible light,” Thesing-Ritter said.

Other activities throughout the day include a concert and dance from The Thundermen, open swimming, presentations on physics and cowboys, racquetball, campus tours, three separate planetarium showings in Phillips Hall, the Blugold football game against UW-La Crosse Saturday and open bowling and billiards at the Bowling and Billiards Center in the Hilltop Center on upper campus.

“The BBC will be packed with people,” Thesing-Ritter said.

On the same note, more than 1,000 people registered for the weekend also have purchased football tickets, so she is expecting a good turnout.