Organizers hope for awareness

Aaron Vehling

UW-Eau Claire students and community members came together Saturday at Rod and Gun Park to take part in the third annual Hempfest, sponsored by Students for a Sensible Drug Policy.

A large share of Hempfest’s proceeds will go toward one or more scholarships to students who have been affected by the Higher Education Drug Act, said Randy Lusk, SSDP president.

SSDP opposes the act, which enforces zero tolerance on all drugs, taking financial aid away from students who have present or prior drug convictions.

“There are a lot of intelligent people who deserve the opportunity to go to school and would do very well,” SSDP member Bill Hamilton said. “But just because of a minor conviction, they are denied any chance of an education since they can’t receive any aid.”

Hempfest is SSDP’s largest annual event. The event has gained popularity through word of mouth, SSDP member Sara Knee said.

Lusk, a senior, has been involved with Hempfest every year. He informed attendees about the benefits of hemp by answering their questions.

“Hemp can revitalize our planet,” Lusk said. “We could do away with fossil fuels eventually … it’s our one true renewable resource.”

Hamilton also discussed the benefits of hemp.

“Hemp is a huge cash crop. If you grow a forest right, you can cut down the trees to produce paper within about 25 years,” Hamilton said. “Hemp crops can be fully grown in one year and can make paper as well.”

Lusk explained that hemp is not a drug.

“The purpose of this festival is just for the awareness of hemp … not anything else,” Lusk said, adding that the festival had nothing to do with marijuana.

“Hemp could help our economy and really help to save our environment,” he said, “and that’s why we’re here today.”

Many local bands played at the event to show their support for the cause, including Slack Jawed Yokel; DeYarmond Edison; Chris O’Brian and the Cohorts; and Amateur Love.

“All of these bands donate their time and playing to the cause,” Lusk said. “We’re very lucky to have them here today.”

Junior Bradley Cook, bassist of DeYarmond Edison and Amateur Love, said he enjoyed being at Hempfest, because it’s a lot of fun and the featured bands are talented.