Davies details available

Student Senate focused on informing and involving students at its Monday meeting, passing a bill for the Davies referendum and working to get students involved in civic engagement week.

President Sarah Schuh and senators Sarah Bolstad and Saskia Harak introduced a bill finalizing the language for the Davies referendum, which students will vote on in March.

In the interest of giving students more time to decide whether they are in favor of the proposed $36.1 million new student center project, Bolstad proposed Senate suspend the rules of the meeting and vote on the bill, rather than waiting until the next Senate meeting.

“I wanted to suspend the rules so the language can get on the Web site,” Bolstad said.

Brochures featuring details of the expansion project are expected to be available today. Students can get a brochure at all Spectator newspaper stands.

In addition to finalizing the wording of the Davies referendum, Schuh, senator Eric Ristau and Harak encouraged students to get involved in national civic engagement week, making its Eau Claire debut through tomorrow.

This week’s activities have included a Student Senate open house and a “students in politics” discussion.

Two events remain for interested students.

Today at noon in Davies Theatre, students can take part in a panel discussion on civic engagement, specifically on getting involved in public service.

Events wrap up Friday with “students in action,” a chance for students to write letters to their state representatives about any issues or concerns they have. The event takes place in the Tamarack Room of Davies from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.