Community satisfied with Homecoming

A large amount of student participation and efforts between the community and students to interact peacefully on Homecoming is what the people behind the event believe made it a success this year.

“The organization representatives all the way through the executive board were very responsible and really enthusiastic, and they did everything they said they would,” Homecoming adviser Paula Stuettgen said.

She was pleased with the events during the week, saying there was a lot of student participation in the parade despite the rain, more cheers at Yell Like Hell than in the past and a lot of talent in the Varsity Night Live! show.

“Students really seemed to be into it this year,” Stuettgen said.

Senior Danielle Fields, general chair of Homecoming, is one of the students who encouraged her peers to join the festivities.

“I know on a personal level, being involved in Homecoming this year gave me more of a feeling for the spirit of it than I had before,” Fields said. “I think the more people who can get involved in one way or another, the better.”

Fields and the others on the Homecoming Executive Committee watched auditions for Varsity Night Live! and organized the medallion hunt as well as other Homecoming week activities.

They also encouraged students to behave appropriately for the community.

Fields went door-to-door to houses on Water Street reminding them that alcohol was not to be taken off their lawn. Fields said that approach was successful, as there didn’t seem to be a problem with students walking around with open containers, and some residents even fenced in their yards to remind their party-goers.

Nick Smiar, a professor of social work and resident of Randall Park Neighborhood, said Homecoming wasn’t a problem near his house this year.

The students didn’t keep him awake at night as they have at times in the past, there was no damage done that he noticed, and he didn’t notice litter in his street.

“This seemed to be better,” he said. “I’m hoping that is an indication that something has changed.”

Stuettgen said she and others involved in Homecoming will meet with the police and city officials in November to discuss how the event went and if any changes need to be made.