A man’s impact

Scott Wickizer, a senior who was considering campaigning for U.S. Sen. Paul Wellstone, D-Minn. in the final days before the election, was shocked and saddened with the news of the Senator’s death.

“It was really sad because he was doing so much good,” Wickizer said. “He actually did what an elected official is paid for and voted for to do, and that is represent the people’s voice and vote his conscience.”

Wellstone, a known liberal, died Friday morning when his plane crashed about two miles from the Eveleth airport in Northern Minnesota. All eight people aboard the chartered twin-engine plane died, including Wellstone’s wife and daughter.

His death came less than two weeks before a close election against former St. Paul Mayor Norm Coleman. Wellstone was the incumbent candidate, seeking a third term in office.

Rodd Freitag, associate professor of political science, said professors felt a “special kinship” with Wellstone, a former professor at Carleton College in Northfield, Minn.

“That was what he did, so we know his roots, we know where he came from and he kind of came out of nowhere and beat an incumbent senator,” Freitag said.

Wellstone beat incumbent Republican Rudy Boschwitz in the 1990 Senate race, presenting himself as an enemy of corporate privilege and wealth.

“He fought for what he believed in and there was never much mystery in what he thought on things,” Freitag said. “He could be counted on to stand up for the little guy in most cases.”

Earlier this month, Wellstone voted against authorizing President Bush to take military action against Iraq.

Freitag added that it will be difficult for the Democrats to find someone to replace Wellstone on the ballot this late in the race. It may be an option to leave him on the ballot, and if he is elected, someone else can be appointed.

Wickizer fears Wellstone’s death will hurt the Democrats and a Republican will be elected, moving the Senate from Democratic to Republican control. With Wellstone, the Senate had 50 Democrats, 49 Republicans and one Independent who usually votes with the Democrats.

“It is scary to think what a Republican-led government could be like,” Wickizer said, “and scary to think what Bush could be able to do with a Republican majority in the Senate.”