Students happy with coed living in dorms

Students residing in UW-Eau Claire’s 11 campus residence halls are content with the coed housing situation, Chuck Major, director of university housing, said.

The school’s housing format dealing with coed living has been the same for several years.

All of the residence halls except Horan Hall, the all-male dorm, and Oak Ridge, the all-female dorm, have some floors permitting coed living.

Most halls alternate female floors with male floors, but both Towers halls have men and women residing on the same floor with a bathroom and elevator separating their rooms.

“You don’t even know there are guys over there,” said freshman Ashley Habeck, who lives on a coed floor in Towers.

The halls were made coed after students requested a change to the United Hall Council.

Not all halls were switched to coed because the UW-System Board of Regents suggested some halls be left male or female only.

Major said the residents of Horan Hall once were asked if they would like to switch to coed living and they declined.

“It is just easier going coed,” Major said.

Most schools around the country have at least some coed residence halls, Major said.

Students and administration agree that coed is more popular, which has made it successful.

Some students living in Horan and Oak Ridge Halls were placed in the hall, while some students requested the all-male or all-female dorms.

Adam Holz, a freshman who was placed in Horan Hall, had an obvious response.

“I wouldn’t mind seeing some girls around here,” he said.

For others, living on same-sex floors is not a problem.

“I think it is not that bad living here,” said freshman Kyle Sweeney, who lives in Oak Ridge Hall.

Major doesn’t see any changes in the housing format in the near future.