Party House acts out results of binge drinking

Students encountered scenes from a party and other depictions of the dangers of alcohol abuse at Party House on Tuesday night in the Towers Hall basement social lounge.

Peer Health Educators, a group of students on campus who teach others about the safe sex, drugs, alcohol abuse, time management and general health topics, hosted the two-night event.

“We aren’t here to scare people,” said senior Emma Chambers, a peer health educator. “We want people to know about the policies on campus and we want students to make informed decisions.”

She said students responded to Party House positively.

The event began with a display of posters on the walls in- and outside of the lounge that informed students about the consequences of excessive drinking.

One poster stated that the “freshmen 15” can be gained just by drinking at parties three times a week during the school year.

After the wall of posters, the “party” began with students led on a tour through the Party House.

The educators set up multiple scenes involving the dangers of alcohol consumption, including a house party, a sexual assault, an arrest for underage alcohol consumption and other scenarios.

Students touring the educational event were offered a glass of root beer from a keg as they entered the first scenario.

The first scene was the stereotypical house party with intoxicated students dancing, “bonging” beers and people trying to “hook up” with each other.

The scene was interrupted by one partygoer who was smoking a marijuana joint and telling a friend about someone he knew who lost his job after he failed a drug test.

Some of the students touring the Party House giggled at the actors, but the laughter stopped when the students on the tour saw the second scene involving a frightening exchange between an intoxicated man and woman.

The man was trying to convince the woman to have sex, and when she refused, he got combative. The scene startled some crowd members when the male actor raised his voice and grabbed the actress.

Other scenes involved a male student getting caught urinating in public and being arrested, a student passed out face-down on the ground, and a couple waking up together naked with no recollection of each other.

After the show ended, students took a survey and had the opportunity to ask questions of the Peer Health Educators.

Some students who received a beaded necklace during the event were told it symbolized being slipped a date rape drug.

Most people who receive the date rape drug feel like they had six drinks instead of one, Chambers said.

The necklace concept is one of the event’s new features, co-chair Lee Ann Pignet said.

Other new features included a debriefing session after Party House and a demonstration of the “puke-safe” position, which is a way to help people who are very intoxicated, Chambers said.

The position puts the person on his or her stomach or back in a way to avoid swallowing one’s tongue or vomit.

Freshman Sarah Fuller attended the event Wednesday night as a part of her first-year experience course. When peer educators asked her what she’d do if she found a friend passed out or under the influence of a date rape drug, she didn’t have an answer.

“Even though I don’t drink, I really wouldn’t know if I should call (911) or not,” Fuller said.

After the event, she said she thinks people who do not drink alcohol already know most of the information presented at Party House. Yet, she said she is worried those students who do drink will forget the safety tips and not be affected at all.