Health care club to sponsor events

UW-Eau Claire students and residents from area nursing homes will be participating in the Alzheimer’s Memory Walk and “A Day in The Park” Saturday at Carson Park.

A picnic, games and other activities will take place from 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. in an event sponsored by the American College of Health Care Administrators.

ACHCA members organized the event to “volunteer their time and effort to make a difference in daily lives of area nursing home and rehabilitation residents,” said Dr. Jennifer Johs-Artisensi, assistant professor in Allied Health professions.

A lunch and dessert will be followed by carnival-type games, bingo, kid’s games and a ring toss.

“There is plenty opportunity for relaxing, socializing and enjoying each other’s company,” Johs-Artisensi said.

This isn’t the first time the student organization has sponsored this event. Last spring they held a similar event, which was rescheduled due to inclement weather.

But this year the organization has grouped with the Alzheimer’s Association to conduct the Alzheimer’s Memory Walk before the festivities in the park.

The walk raises funds for the Alzheimer’s Association. Since the fund-raiser was started in 1989, the association has raised more than $100 million.

Individual teams try to raise the money by asking their friends, relatives and neighbors for sponsorship.

The Eau Claire students formed their own team for this year’s walk. The amount raised by the team will be announced at the event.

Johs-Artisensi said the association was excited about the energy of the students and having a stronger university connection with the event.

Eau Claire ACHCA’s Memory Walk team leader junior Matthew Mauthe said the walk will benefit his organization as well.

“This is what we will be doing in our careers, working with people that have chronic and advanced illness,” Mauthe said. “We need to pull together now because one day this will be our living.”

The nursing facilities that ACHCA are working with include Dove Healthcare Nursing and Rehabilitation, Clairemont Nursing Facility, Lakeside Nursing and Rehabilitation, Oakwood Villa and Syverson Lutheran Home.