Competition gauges fears

The Fear factor$ competition coordinated by the University Recreation special events committee will have 50 students competing in events testing their physical and mental limits.

The competition will mark the end of National Collegiate Alcohol Awareness Week and will feature events similar to those seen on the popular TV show.

“We’re trying to base it off the TV show,” said Lisa M. Schuetz, student services program manager at University Recreation. “But it can’t be exactly the same.”

The competition is scheduled for 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Oct. 26.

The competition involves 25 teams of two students who will go through multiple challenges on campus, Schuetz said.

“(We want students to) test their limits in other ways besides with alcohol,” Schuetz said.

The nature of the challenges is a closely guarded secret that Schuetz wouldn’t comment on. The exact locations of the events are also a secret.

Senior Jimmy Gosse already is registered for the competition.

For his training, Gosse practiced holding a spider in his hand. At the event he expects to “hold bugs and eat gross things,” he said.

His “fearless” girlfriend made him sign up for the event, he said.

Teams interested in registering for the event need to bring $10 to Hilltop Recreation Center to sign up. As of Friday, 14 teams have registered. All 25 teams must be entered into the event before the Oct. 18 registration deadline.

The top prize is a $200 travel voucher for each member of the first-place team. Second prize will be gift certificates and third prize is a gift package from recreation. All participants will receive a Fear factor$ T-shirt. Food will be provided at the end of the competition.

TV-10 will have two cameras present to air some segments of the activities, Schuetz said. Spectators are welcome for all of the events.

University Recreation’s special events committee was the first organization to support the idea, but when word got out about the competition, National Residence Hall Honorary, Residence Hall Activities Board, United Hall Council and the Peer Health Educators got involved as co-sponsors of the competition, Schuetz said.

The organizations will administer and set up the challenges.

The money for the event and prizes was taken from the special events budget from recreation.

“This is by no means a money-making event,” Schuetz said.

This is the first year that Fear factor$ is held, but Schuetz saidhopes it will be something to have every year.

The only advice Schuetz offers for those wishing to train is, “Be ready for anything.”