Differential tuition will increase

The student differential tuition fee will increase for the first time next year as Student Senate unanimously voted Monday to raise the $50 semester charge by $15 over the next two years.

Starting in the spring 2003 semester, the fee will increase by $5 every semester through spring 2004. Beginning with the fall of 2004, the fee will grow by a 4.5-percent flat rate each school year.

Students will pay $125 into differential tuition during the 2003-2004 school year, then pay 4.5 percent – about $6 more – of that amount during the 2004-2005 year.

The initial two-year increase plan will generate about $150,000 more for differential programs.

“It’ll create many opportunities down the road,” said junior Craig Smith, Senate’s director of Academic Affairs, on Tuesday, “(which) is the biggest reason I’m excited.”

Differential fees are included in student tuition and help fund academic programs, such as internships, first-year experience, collaborative research, capstone and service-learning.

Eau Claire officials said that in 1996 the university became the first in the nation to create the fee, but since then has never raised the $50 per semester charge.

The constant level of the fee is a main reason for the increase because inflation has elevated the costs for the differential programs. These programs, senators and administrators said, enhance the quality of education on campus.

“It is na‹ve to believe,” as stated in the bill, “this level of excellence can be maintained and advanced in an environment where funding remains stagnant.”

The 4.5-percent increase is a good balance of covering inflation costs yet not giving programs unnecessary funding, Smith said.

It stated in the bill that, before Senate would distribute additional funds, Senate would seek student input on improving the differential programs and whether new programs are wanted.

In a separate bill approved Monday, Senate set the funding ranges for differential programs, which basically stay the same.

Provost Ron Satz said he thinks the level of the fee’s increase is sensible and will help the university continue to set itself apart from other colleges.

Aside from covering inflation costs, Satz said the funds would support more differential projects.

“This is certainly going to help and assist with this,” Satz said.

Officials said they expect the Board of Regents to approve the bill at their June 6 meeting.

The Academic Affairs Commission, which wrote the bill, wanted to raise the fee by $15 over two years because the funds would quickly help differential programs.

The bill also enabled Senate to decide later, such as next year, to change the funding system.

“It’s just a matter of giving us the power to change it when we want to,” Smith said.

Senate Finance Commission Director Nate Otto said, although he supports the increase, he is concerned whether or not it will replace the university’s search for state funds.

Satz said more differential tuition will not replace state funds.

“These are things (differential projects) we don’t have adequate state dollars for,” Satz said.

Smith guaranteed students will continue to lobby for state money.

“Believe me,” Smith said, “we’re not going to give up the fight for state funding.”