Campus kept clean thanks to students

On a sunny, warm day dozens of students sprawl out on the grass to do homework or just enjoy the weather.

Those grassy areas are kept clean due to the work of several campus organizations. Through the Adopt-A-Mall program, the organizations sign up to keep one green area of the campus clean.

Organizations volunteer their time to clean their area once a semester, said freshman Lisa Huftel, who is Student Senate’s director for Student Life and Diversity.

“The organizations that do it contribute a lot to keeping the campus clean,” Huftel said.

Of the 17 designated green spaces on campus, the mall is a popular place for students to spend time. Circle K, a service organization, keeps the campus mall clean, although there is usually little work to be done.

“Every time we go out there, it’s basically cleaned up for us,” said sophomore Elizabeth Nuthals, immediate task vice president of Circle K. “Sometimes we’re lucky and we actually get to clean it up.”

The organization has 35 members who work on several cleaning projects on and off campus. On Saturday, the group went to Big Falls, a beach in Chippewa Falls, to pick up trash.

“It’s just a continuous service for the school,” Nuthals said.

A map depicting each area and clubs involved is displayed in the hallway outside of the Student Senate office in Davies Center. The display also explains the goal, which is to have a few extra sets of eyes on our campus green spaces.”

In efforts to keep the area between upper and lower campus clean, members of the Psychology Club spend time each week picking up trash.

After each Monday meeting, members of the club pick up trash on their way up the hill, said President of the Psychology Club and junior Becky Gardner.

“We try to keep it fairly clean. If we see stuff when walking around, we pick it up.”