Vaccination suggested for prevention

Anna Nelson

Although many students are going to Health Services for a vaccination due to a meningitis death on campus, rushing out to get the vaccine is probably not necessary, said Richard Kark, medical supervisor at UW-Eau Claire Health Services.

The meningitis vaccine, Menomune, is available to all students for $70. The vaccine, which is 85 percent effective, is mostly recommended to students living in residence halls. Incoming freshmen are encouraged to get the vaccine at orientation during the summer.

It takes at least two weeks for the vaccine to work, Kark said.

“At this point we’re not saying that everyone has to have it,” he said.

Two Eau Claire students died after contracting meningitis this academic year. Sean Coleman, a 19-year-old sophomore, died Sunday after being sick for about one day. Junior Amber Krenz, 22, died in November.

For more information on meningitis, visit theCenter for Disease Control or theWisconsin Department of Health and Family Services

Symptoms of meningitis:
Severe headache
Stiff neck
Vomiting
Skin rash

The most recent case of meningitis at Eau Claire is considered isolated.

Fifty vaccinations were given this summer, said Director of Health Services Laura Chellman. The vaccinations are expected to work for three to five years.

In November, 75 to 100 students at Eau Claire came to Health Services for the vaccination after Krenz died.

Sharing a drink, kissing or close personal contact spreads meningitis, Kark said. Simply being in the same room as someone who carries the meningitis virus would pose only a small risk.

Eau Claire isn’t the only UW campus hit by meningitis in the past few weeks.

Students from UW-Madison and UW-Whitewater were sick with the virus last weekend but are expected to recover.

A male student at UW-Whitewater, who officials haven’t identified, was hospitalized over the weekend with the illness.

The Badger Herald reported that UW-Madison freshman Kelly Steinborn was in serious condition over the weekend with meningitis.

Having three cases at one time in the state is unusual but probably just a coincidence, said Kark.

Judy Lembrich, a nurse at Student Health Services at Whitewater said she was unsure how many students at Whitewater are vaccinated. The cost of the vaccination at Whitewater Student Health Services is $51.

The vaccine doesn’t cover all types of meningitis. Lembrich said.

Type B, which accounts for 30 percent of cases, is not covered by vaccine, according to Health Services. The most recent strain of meningitis at Whitewater is covered by the vaccine.

Kark said it is unknown what strain of meningitis Coleman had.