University psychologist Schneider wins excellence award

Submitted photo

In her book, “To the Left of Inspiration,” Katherine Schneider’s aim was to inspire individuals with disabilities, and anyone else who knows someone with a disability.

This attitude was one reason Schneider, a UW-Eau Claire psychologist, received one of two awards given for the 2002 Regents Academic Staff Award for Excellence last Thursday.

Her skills, attitude and accomplishments rewarded her with $5,000 for development in her profession, a university organization or program.

“Dr. Schneider has always had such a positive attitude and outlook for her position in Counseling Services, the psychology department and the university,” said Student Services Program Assistant Kari Tubbs. “Kathy demonstrates everything good about UW-Eau Claire – she’s an excellent person, a caring professional, and one of the best people I’ve ever known.”

Schneider’s job at the university is counseling students. However, she added to her responsibilities by supervising pre-doctoral interns, giving lectures in classes and student organizations, and one of her major goals throughout her psychology career is to reach out to students with disabilities.

“Ever since I was young I have strived to give back to the world which has given me so much,” Schneider said. “I chose psychology as a profession because of this wanting to help people.”

Schneider, who is blind, made it possible for students with disabilities to have a mentor in the field of psychology to talk to about their profession. She started the American Psychology Association’s Mentoring Program for psychologists with disabilities, reaching out to people like herself.

In addition to disability-based activities, she served on search-and-screen committees for important administrative positions, and currently serves on the Executive Committee of the University Senate, said Assistant Professor of Psychology Marie Crothers.

With the $5,000, Schneider said she plans to buy a talking laptop to enhance her work. She also plans to attend a writer’s workshop.