GE III, IV credit requirement revised

Ben Smidt

Students will be required to take nine to 12 credits from three subcategories in areas III and IV of general education requirements effective 2003, the University Senate voted Tuesday.

This changes only the university’s minimum requirements, so each college within the university still has the right to agree with the revisions or make stricter requirements within their school.

“This will not make a difference in an individual program until the college also agrees,” Senate Chair Susan Harrison said. “I would encourage students that like this to let faculty in their major know that they like that.”

After two hours of debate at Tuesday’s meeting, many of the issues regarding general education revisions will remain on the table until the next meeting.

Senator Rose Jadack, associate professor of nursing, supported the revision because of the feedback she’s heard from students in exit interviews. “Students said it’s been hard to fulfill all of the requirements,” she said.

The Senate also discussed establishing a GE Category V, titled “University Wide General Education.” Many senators spoke very strongly in support and against this change.

“If we want to change the meaning of GE, which is what we are doing . is it going to be liberal arts?” asked senator Jane Pederson, professor of history.

Senator Fred Kolb, professor of economics, also raised the question as to what classes would be included in Category V. It seems the motion is 85 to 90 percent there, Kolb said. “However, it needs a list of classes as a good example,” he said.

Currently there is no distinct list of classes that would be included in Category V, however most would come from professional studies and be chosen by a committee after the motion passed.

It was also decided that Harrison will remain in the position of Senate Chair for next year. The next University Senate meeting is scheduled for April 23.