A different kind of dance

Butch McCartney

As last minute preparations are set, the small crowd shuffles into the Spruce/Tamarack room in Davies Center, which was transformed into a dance floor Saturday for a night at the Alternative Prom.

A dimly lit chandelier hangs from the ceiling draped in crate paper, as candles glow from each table and guests walk through the rainbow balloon archway into the prom.

The Alternative Prom is the first one held at UW-Eau Claire in an attempt to give students a chance to go to prom with who they want to go with instead of who society thinks they should go with, said freshman Dale Larson, the male co-chair of the Lesbian, Gay, Bi-Sexual, Transgender, Straight Alliance. Although other dances have been held for the same cause, this is the first prom.

Less than 10 people were at the first part of the dance, but as the music started, students attending the prom took their place on the dance floor. Among them were senior Briana Powers and freshman Elizabeth Schweitzer. “We came to support the gay/straight alliance,” Powers said, adding that they also wanted to dance.

Students attending the prom found out about it through posters that were hung up around campus and through friends in the LGBTS. The LGBTS Alliance also sent e-mails to all the gay and lesbian organizations in the UW System, as well as to local high schools and youth groups.

Larson said he hopes the event will gain more awareness of the issues in an atmosphere where people can have fun.

Freshman Greg Arnold, who helped decorate for Saturday night’s event, said he thinks an event like this is a good idea and would like to see it turn into a bigger, annual event.

The prom is open to everyone, giving people a chance to dance and have fun in a more inviting atmosphere. Although it is geared toward college students, it is a wonderful event for high school students as well, Powers said. It simply gives them a place where they can go and have fun with all of their friends.

Although the prom is the first of its kind on campus, Larson said he is hoping to do it again.