Cinephiles

‘When Harry Met Sally’
Photo by Mady Leick
Can a man and woman just be friends if they are attracted to each other?

I would give a spoiler warning, but the movie came out in 1989.

“When Harry Met Sally” is a classic rom-com that has stood the test of time for several reasons. It’s the perfect fall movie, an ideal slow burn and the blueprint for enemies to lovers. 

Directed by Rob Reiner and written by Nora Ephron, it’s a piece that brings together two broken people.

The movie begins with the two driving from the University of Chicago to New York. The long drive leads to some interesting conversations, and the question of the movie is discussed: can a man and woman just be friends if they are attracted to each other? 

The movie doesn’t directly answer the question, but it is felt throughout every second of the movie.

The movie then jumps, moving through long periods of time. Harry and Sally see each other again and again until a friendship forms. The jumps through time are in no way jarring, and instead feel like a natural progression of time. 

The friendship forming doesn’t feels forced and the story is told through conversations between the two. They discuss every bit of life together while taking long walks in New York. Their conversations focus mainly on love and how to grow from a loss of it. 

Harry and Sally are inherently flawed. The two love to argue with each other because they see each other’s faults and embrace them. Their friendship originates from the both of them ending unrelated relationships: Harry divorcing his wife and Sally’s boyfriend leaving her. 

This loss connects them, and the two form a bond through their growth. They are broken people, who in some ways, love each other because they are so individually broken. The idea of loving after losing is a hard thing to come to terms with, and this movie perfectly displays it.

Both Harry and Sally lose love throughout the piece, and in their friendship, learn to love again. It’s a story of friends who understand each other. I love the piece because it shows how people can grow and learn from their mistakes.

This movie is a stunning piece and feels like a moment in time. It was made in the ‘80s, and it feels like a different world. It feels very real — nothing is artificial in “When Harry Met Sally.” The hair is high, the sweaters are thick and let’s just say if you love ‘80s fashion, you’ll have a ball.

This movie feels like a fall afternoon. It’s known for its chunky sweaters and overall cozy feeling. It’s the tale of two broken people falling, and in a way you fall alongside them. It makes one feel cozy inside. If Harry and Sally can make it work, then anyone can. 

Leick can be reached at [email protected].