Cinephiles: ‘Anyone but You’

‘The rest is still unwritten’
The early 2000s rom-com era is back. (Photo from Columbia Pictures)

There are a lot of ebbs and flows when it comes to the movie industry. The box office dictates a lot of what gets created as it shows what is the most watched.

Since the coronavirus pandemic, it seems more difficult to create hit movies and entice people to go to the theaters when they are able to watch a lot more on streaming services.

The trailer has to have just enough to intrigue people without giving it all away.  When I saw the trailer for “Anyone but You” it gave me that. It reminded me of some of the romance books that are popular right now and the enemies-to-lovers trope.

To be honest I love romcoms. It is no surprise that when “Anyone but You” came out I was excited.

Then I kept seeing videos all over social media of people dancing to the song “Unwritten” by Natasha Bedingfield and saying how the movie was inspiring and a new era for romantic comedies.

Personally, I am all here for it. When people think about some of the best rom coms they are from the 1990s to 2000s. Movies like “How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days” and “The Wedding Planner” were some of my favorites growing up.

Nothing has quite set us back into the romantic comedy era that was the late ‘90s and early 2000s but there has been an uptick in romcoms hitting the box office over the past few years.

Maybe “Anyone but You” is making it the time for a change as the superhero movie industry slows.

I found the movie very entertaining. I like that they had a more normal meeting. It wasn’t something extravagant, they had just met in a coffee shop.

It was nice that they made the movie relatable. Little things like biting into a grilled cheese sandwich too quickly or questioning whether a job or path is right for you. It added elements that people could see in their own lives.

I also enjoyed that they showed multiple different relationships and things that can happen. They show a couple getting married, one-night stands, broken engagements, running into exes, fake relationships and real life. It has so many different elements and things that many people could relate to.

They tied in some classic romantic comedy moments like the classic “Titanic” scene where they are at the end of the boat and he holds her waist while she stretches her arms out. Of course, they also added in the running after the girl near the end of the movie.

With each piece though they added their own unique twist like ending up in the water and needing to be rescued.

Along with that, some romcoms have a song that ties it all together and makes something that makes you recall the movie. Like “How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days” has “You’re So Vain” by Carly Simon “Anyone but You” has “Unwritten” by Natasha Bedingfield.

It helps to tie it back to the early 2000s rom-com era.

I don’t know about anyone else, but I hope this is the revival of the rom-com and that more will be hitting the theaters soon. Until then I will gladly rewatch my late 90’s-early 2000’s favorites.

Geske can be reached at [email protected].